Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Gold, bottom drawer refrigerator that I

I have a Whirlpool Gold, bottom drawer refrigerator that I am having some trouble with. Model #: GB2FHDXWB01, SN: K02889215

I apologize in advance for my lack of proper terminology. Last week, I had a problem where the bottom of the freezer was filling up with a sheet of ice every day or so. I assumed this was a problem with the drain that the melted ice flows through into the drip pan so I took the freezer apart to access the drain. I had to remove everything in the freezer to access the back wall and once I got that back panel removed, I found that the drain was filled with ice. I cleared the ice with a blow dryer until I could shoot a little hot water down the tube with a turkey baster. Once the water all drained and the ice was all melted in the tube, I pulled the rubber nipple off the end of the tube from behind the fridge, and noticed that there was only a little tiny razor blade thin slice in the nipple to let the water pass. I also found a little piece of fuzz in the nipple and assume that it stared the ice dam I was dealing with. In a moment of weakness, I opened that hole up in the nipple so that you could see light through it and put it back on the tube. I put the freezer back together and had it down for about 4-5 hours total with the power off.

My problem now is that the fridge isn't getting cold without turning it up to 6. I ran it at 4 for the 2 1/2 years I've owned it and never felt the need to turn it up any higher. It just isn't getting cold like it was before I defrosted that freezer drain. I ran it for about 12 hours before putting any food back in it. Everything that I put in the fridge spoiled before I noticed there was a problem. I have nothing but some canned drinks in there to monitor the temperature right now. I turned it up to 5 a couple of days ago and noticed that it did get a little colder. I went to 6 last night and it is fairly cold right now but I'm sure there is still something wrong with it and before I fill it up with food again, I want to repair it properly.

I took the day off from work tomorrow to tear it down again and see if I didn't seat the plug that I unplugged to remove the back panel but I doubt it's loose. I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone could offer because I'm completely lost around appliances. I would also be really interested in seeing a schematic on my refrigerator if anyone has one available. I have all the tools to tear it down and I do have a nice fluke multimeter handy.

Thank you,

George
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So here is the issue, you dumped all the water out of that drain hose on the back. There is only a tiny slit to allow the water out because otherwise when the fan is running, it will suck in warm air from the outside and blow it up to the refrigerator. Hopefully you didn't change this slit. If so, then you need to replace that drain hose. Below is a link to the part

CLICK HERE

Now if you didn't alter the slit, then you just need to wait for the refrigerator to defrost and a little water will sit in the tub preventing air from pulling up through the drain hose and the unit will start to function properly again, but this could take 3-4 days from the time you turn it back on dependin on when it goes into the defrost cycle again.

Either way, that's the only thing that you could have affected causing this issue.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great answer, thank you. XXXXX alter the slit in the nipple so that is probably my issue. I will unplug the unit and remove the nipple from the drain hose. I do not see the nipple in the image you linked. Do you have a link for the nipple? I will have to try to pick one up locally because I made the time to do this tomorrow but will order it if I can't find one. How long should I leave the fridge unplugged after I replace the nipple on the drain hose?

Unfortunately I don't have the part number on the nipple because I don't see it in the diagram, but you'd want to talk to a parts house locally and give them your model number and they can look the part up for you.

As for how long to leave the refrigerator unplugged, just leave it unplugged for at least 5 minutes and then plug it back in. It may take a few days before a defrost cycle occurs and everything runs normally, but it should run normally after a few day.