Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My dryer has power, belt is ok, buzzer rings when I turn dial

to cycles but when I...
My dryer has power, belt is ok, buzzer rings when I turn dial to cycles but when I push buttons to start - nothing happens. Do you think it is the door switch?
5/7/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, when you push the start button you hear nothing at all ? not even a hum like it wants to start ?

No when I push the buttons I hear nothing, but when I turn the dial for the different cycles it makes the buzzer go off but drum does not move

okay this is quite old I see. Do you have a volt meter ? (multimeter)

no I don't have a meter.

Okay , The thing with these dryers is you have to make sure your getting 220 volts to it. If your only getting 110 volts to one side of the power you will still hear the timer buzzer but it wont start so we need to start there. do you have breakers or fuses in your home ?

I have breakers

okay, so the only way to really check this without a volt meter is to bypass a few things testing them as we go. . Would you be able to do that ? it may be the high limit thermostat or the door switch like you said but we would need to bypass these and try starting it .it will require taking the top off the dryer and removing the wires (make sure its unplugged between each test) and put the wires together to bypass the part. do you think you can do it that way? or would you rather get a volt meter and test them that way ?

I can try to get a meter, but I am at work now. If you tell me what to do I can try it tonight, and let you know how I make out.

okay well if you can get a meter and get back to me later I'm sure we can find out whats going on and get this running. just come back later. what time do you think you will be back ?

probably around 4:30-5pm is that ok?

thats great no problem. talk then . thanks , Bryan

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX nice day. Talk to you tonight

You too . Thanks , no need to reply until you get home. thanks, Bryan

Monring, Could not get hands on a meter... talked to person I got dryer from and she had for 17 years (hardly used likes to hang clothes out) I had for 7 years. So I am assuming it is time to put out to pasture.

Okay thats up to you of course, I was looking at your parts and a lot of the parts are no longer available so if you had fixed this now if something else breaks in it you may not be able to fix it again ,this is an old dryer and has probably seen better days. I wish you the best , thanks and have a great day ! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician