Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

Our refrigerator stopped cooling. It has done this twice before.

Our refrigerator stopped cooling. It has done this twice before. It's 5-1/2 years old. Any suggestions?

repairguy :

my name isXXXXX will assist you tonight

repairguy :

I know it is not cooling, but can you give me some more information?

repairguy :

What is the model number

Customer:

jfc2089hep

repairguy :

is just the fresh food warm or the freezer also

Customer:

Frig & freezer both stopped cooling. In the past, I have moved the frig out from the wall, unplugged it and taken off the covers on the bottom, then just vacuumed out everywhere I could reach, although it was never horribly dusty. Then I would put the covers back on, plug it in, then it would start cooling again and everything would be fine. The last time it did it was several months ago. Otherwise we have no problems at all with the frig or the freezer. The temperature is always 39 degrees or so and 0 to -2 in the freezer.

repairguy :

We need to know if the compressor is on or off, can you pull the unit away from the wall and remove the rear panel that will expose the compressor area?

Customer:

I have it away from the wall and the panels are off. Is the compressor the big black unit? It is very hot to the touch right now.

Customer:

The fan is definitely working.

repairguy :

Yes that is the compressor and if it is hot that means it is running

repairguy :

does it feel like it is vibrating

Customer:

What else can I check?

Customer:

No it's not vibrating.

repairguy :

Im sorry to tell you this but there is not anything else to check.

repairguy :

You can unplug the unit put a fan pointing at the compressor and cool it down

repairguy :

Is the fan located in the back running also?

Customer:

So,it's not supposed to be very hot to the touch?

repairguy :

They do get warm, but if it is warm and vibrating and not cooling then you have a sealed system problem, that will take a professional to repair.

repairguy :

Was the fan in the compressor department running

Customer:

There's a white plastic fan just to the left of the compressor that's about 7 inches in diameter. That's the one that is running. I don't see or hear any other fans.

repairguy :

That is the one I am talking about.

Customer:

It seems to be running smoothly and quietly. The compressor is pretty warm on the bottom half and it is almost too hot to touch on the top half.

repairguy :

Only being 5 1/2 years old the unit should be worth having a professional take a look at it

repairguy :

There is definetly a problem with the sealed system, now if it is major or minor it is hard to say over the computer

Customer:

So the compressor shouldn't be that hot? and that signifies a problem with the sealed system? Both times before it just started working again. Does that sound familiar?

repairguy :

Compressor do run warm that is not my concern, if it were cold then I would know that the compressor did not kick on. I can not explain why it would all of the sudden fix itself. But I do know that if the compressor is running and the condensor fan is running then almost always there is a problem in the sealed system, either their is a restriction, and the other times you shut it off the unit was able to clear and and resume working, or there is a leak in the system which is not something that could cure itself. You could try leaving the unit unplugged for a hour of so let everything cool off and then plug back in that may be enough to clear the restriction again. If not you will definetly need help\

Customer:

ok thanks