Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I recently was given a kitchen aid KUIS185S2 ice maker. When

I recently was given a...
I recently was given a kitchen aid KUIS185S2 ice maker. When I first turned it on it made a little ice but not much. I cleaned the unit good and cleaned the coil of dust. It appears everything is working. The pump is working etc but It is making almost no ice and what little ice it makes will melt. There is some ice on the metal plate. Any idea what the issue is? Thanks
5/5/2013
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can you check to make sure that the fan motor is running underneath the unit?

Yes, the fan is working

The ice on the metal slab, how thick is it getting?

I have left the setting on the average size. It looks like around 3/8"

That would be a good thickness, but does it drop it on the cutting grid for you?

I have not seen it drop on the grid. I have had some cubes on the bin. LIke enough from one slab or so. Another time I looked, it appeared that the slab was partially dropped into the grid, but not the whole slab.

Have you used an ice maker cleaner in it to clean everything? Also how long has it been since it was used before you got it?

It had been off for a little while. Im guessing 6 months or so. I took off the water pan and cleaned everything with soap and water. I also ran a bleach solution thru the pump etc. The are some green I would guess lime deposits on it. I tried to clean those with a lime away cleaner. There are some green very hard deposits on the metal pan. I did not use a specific ice maker cleaner or acid solution

The build up on the cold plate can cause a lot of problems, This is a very old machine, I would recommend at least trying ice machine cleaner to make sure before investing more time or money into it... You can click on the blue link to order the cleaner that is needed for it..

Click here for cleaner

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Ice Machine Cleaner(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

I will try the cleaner. If that doesn't fix it, is the metal plate a part that can be easily replaced?

That metal plate is the evaperator, It has gas lines in it, it would require a technician with a CFC license to replace it. The labor alone would be over $200 and the evaperator cost is about $260 for it, the part number for the evaperator is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Evaporator(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View

Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician