Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE stacked washer dryer GTUP240EM1WW - the washer won't turn

Customer Question
on without the dryer being...
GE stacked washer dryer GTUP240EM1WW - the washer won't turn on without the dryer being on, the dryer doesn't heat, and the washer keeps pausing so much that it can't finish a cycle. It is 1.5 yrs old.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/2/2013
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you actually have 2 problems.

The first problem is that your stack unit is not getting 240 volts. This will cause the dryer to not heat at all and it prevents the washer from starting without the dryer being turned on. You'll want to pull the entire unit out and checking where the power cord connects to the back of the dryer. Make sure you don't have a shorted connection where the power cord connects to the back of the dryer. If everything looks good, check power with a multimeter between the two outside terminals where the power cord connects (red and black usually). You should get 240 volts. if not, then you know that your problem has something to do with the outlet, the circuit breaker on your house, or possibly the wiring in between. If you do have 240 volts at this point, then you'll need to take the dryer apart and look for a broken wire between the terminal block and the control panel because you have a burnt or broken wire somewhere.

Now for your other problem with the washer pausing all the time. This happens when the washer thinks that the door has opened for a split second. Now if you're not opening the door, that means that your latch switch is becomming too sensative and either the clothes hitting the door or the vibration of the tub moving is causing the latch to think the door opened. EIthe rway, the door latch assembly woul dneed to be ordered and replaced to fix this issue.

It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thanks for the information. I have actually done all of that (the space they give us to tell what we've done already is too limited to share all). Why would the dryer need to be on for the washer to work?? It is so odd.

The issue is because you're not getting 240 volts to the controls, only 120 volts. By turning the dryer on, it's allowing 120 volts to go to other places which will power the washer (since the washer only need 120 volts to work), but since you're only getting 120 volts to the dryer, the missing 120 volts isn't powering the washer right now.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but what it comes down to is that the unit isn't getting 240 volts, it's only getting 120 volts and that will cause the washer to only run when the dryer is turned on.
I see you gave me a negative rating. Was there something I could help you with to improve that rating?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc