Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

How to stop Kenmore oven cleaning cycle?

I have an 18 year old Kenmore oven that has been on the cleaning cycle for 7 hours. For the last 2 or 3 hours the fan has been grinding away, the screen says "LOCKED door" and it beeps around every 30 seconds. How can I get it stopped and unlocked?

I know you can’t open the door but can you check these other places for the full model number?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a built in Kenmore microwave/oven combination. The instruction manual says Models 49425, 49429. I'm assuming it's one of those.

Okay, I'm not sure where the model number is? The numbers you gave me are not the full model.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The bottom of the manual has other numbers. Maybe they will help.

MNM085(345863)-4, SR10015

Usually Kenmore model numbers will start with a three digit prefix then have a decimal point after it. Like (###) ###-####or 790.84749549. It is very important to have the first three numbers prefix before the decimal point as for those numbers will tell us who has actually made the machine. Kenmore is just a brand name by Sears. They actually don’t make their appliances, other bigger better known companies like GE, LG, Whirlpool and so on.

Please first try to locate the model number on the machine or in the paperwork you have with the machine. If you can't locate the model and the door is still locked then don’t worry about it for now.

Please power off the machine by flipping off the circuit breaker to the unit for at least ten minutes. Then after the ten minutes turn it back on and tell me what the control says; if the locked door goes away, then great. Try to open the door. If the door still doesn't open then try to put the oven back into a self clean cycle and try to look and hear for the door lock to engage and disengage.

I know it will be hard to see, but look towards the top middle portion of the door where the door lock and latch is located and try to see if the door lock engages and locks or if it stays locked. Or if the door lock disengages and unlocks try to pull the door open. Now here you will need to time it so that when you pull the door open it is when the door is unlocking.

If you get the door open awesome. Just cancel the clean cycle and let the oven sit unused for about two hours if you can. If the door still doesn't come unlocked then let me know.

The only other chance you have of getting the door unlocked again is to manually force the door open with either a thin putty knife or butter knife. Taking the knife to the door lock and forcing it to the unlock position.

If the door will not unlock still then you will need to change the door lock assembly and possibly even the main control board.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I solved the problem myself before you answered. Actually I only left the circuit off about 20 seconds and used the oven again within a half hour. Everything seems fine not, but the fan sounded so rough after being on so long, it may have to be replaced.

Ok. I am glad that you were able to reset the oven control/ computer board. But if the cooling fan is still a problem or sounds sluggish or just "off" I would replace it.

When the oven goes onto a clean cycle or a bake or broil cycle and has the temp exceed 350 degrees the cooling fan will come on to cool the controls and internal parts of the oven. That is normal and should go back off when the oven reaches a safe temperature usually around 225-275 degrees.

But if the cooling fan is staying on for hours or even days then it has shorted out. And we would need to make sure the cooling fan or the main board supplying power to the fan is the problem. And if the cooling fan seems louder or just "off", not the same as of late, and then I would suspect the fan is the issue. And you will want to get that checked out quickly for if the fan doesn't cool the oven properly it could lead to more severe problems.

I will show you some diagnostic steps we can do on the fan motor to determine what the problem is.

And if you would like to include the full model number, which should be located just behind the door on the inside front face of the oven cavity frame, please include that so that way I can get the part info you may need if you are going to replace the fan motor.