Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have en ed27dqxbb01, the freezer seems not to be defrosting

ans is constantly running...
I have en ed27dqxbb01, the freezer seems not to be defrosting ans is constantly running
5/1/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you specify exactly where you see the frost building up inside the freezer? Is it inside the freezer against the back wall?

It's not frost build up, it's cold vapor when I open the freezer. it appears it is not shutting down.

OK, do you have a thermostat you can put inside the refrigerator and freezer to see what temperature the refrigerator and freezer read?

do you mean a thermometer?

yes, just a cheap thermometer you can put inside the refrigerator or freezer for 15 minutes or so to get the actual temperature.

okay, will try, the unit was shut down for awhile when I was repairing it.

oh, I guess I didn't understand that you just repaired the unit. I figured that was days ago and it's been running ever since. I would venture to say that if you haven't let it run for 24 hours since the repair yet that there is nothing wrong. It takes a lot longer to cool down the refrigerator so the freezer will over cool during this process. After 24 hours, things should even out and work normally again.

I am still waiting on two anwers, why would the freezer continue to run and why did the water inlet pipe to the ice maker continue to freeze. All I did was clean the drain hole in the freezer and determine the water resevoir was leaking, I will order the part.

The drain holes just commonly freeze. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. Other times debris builds up inside the drain pipe below and causes the water to drain too slowly and it freezes up over time. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

As for why the freezer continues to run---the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer. The way that the refrigerator is designed is to never stop cooling until the refrigerator section reaches the correct temperature. So until the refrigerator reaches the correct temperature, the freezer portion can over cool. They way that the refrigerator regulates how cold the freezer gets is based on a vent that opens and closes to allow different amounts of air into the refrigerator. If the vent is completely open, the refrigerator will cool down quicker causing the freezer temperature to be warmer. If the vent is closed, then it takes longer.

THERE WILL BE TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS in the beginning. The manufacture tells you to wait 24 hours before you put food into the unit when you first plug the unit in. In reality, it takes 3 days or so to even out completely but after 24 hours, it'll be close enough to add food.

Okay, still one left, thank you. The water feeder tube going into the ice maker has been freezing up, not allowing new ice to form

That means you either have a bad electronic water valve which isn't sealing up properly and is dripping through, or your water pressure is poor and the water comes through too slowly causing it to freeze over time until the tube becomes completely frozen. Make sure you have good water pressure coming out the water dispenser and to the refrigerator and if so, replace the electronic water valve on the back down by the compressor.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

thank you

Not a problem and good luck to you.

My temps this morning, in answer to your question:

freezer was 18

refrig was 40

are these appropriate?

That is not good unfortunately. Your freezer should be down around 0 degrees F. 18 degrees is much too warm. The refrigerator temperature is appropriate. That would explain why it's running all the time. The next thing you'd need to do is remove the lower back panel inside the freezer and see if the silver coils behind this panel are lightly frosted from top to bottom or if there is only a little frost on top but not the bottom.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc