Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirpool bottom refrigerator. the ice maker is not

I have a Whirpool bottom refrigerator. the ice maker is not working correctly, making knocking noises and producing little ice. Checked lines for kinks and have a good water supply. I do not see a filter with this brand of refrigerator. What else can I check?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today,

Good morning. whats going on is the ice maker heater is bad. the knocking noise is the module trying to eject the ice but without the heater the ice gets stuck and most likely the gear is either slipping or one of the tabs holding the gear is broken or missing. Pop the front white cover off the ice maker. then check the tabs in the middle of the gear. graphiclet me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do u pop off cover? No tabs ?

this cover just pops off. you may need to use a small screw driver to get it started.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Got it, what now?

do you have a piece of wire about 5 inches long ? if so strip it back about 1 inch on each end and stick it into the holes marked T & H graphicthis will jump start a harvest cycle where the ice maker will turn. once you hear a slight click pull the wire out. watch the gear , does it get hung up when it tries to turn ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, don`t have any wires to do that

okay. the ice maker mold heater is bad , Ice Maker Mold and Heater W10190929       Alternate Product Viewthe problem is though when this happens the module is damaged and you would need to replace both to fix your ice maker. It's actually cheaper to replace the entire ice maker. heres is a link to order the ice maker. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/D7824706Q/915772?modelNumber=EB9SHKXVQ03?RCAID=1000065 this is a common failure on these.