Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile Electric Range Model PB975DPBB that is

3 years old. Recently an...
I have a GE Profile Electric Range Model PB975DPBB that is 3 years old.
Recently an alarm started to occasionally sound and the following warning appears in the digital display: "Bad Line". Initially I could flip the 220V breaker and turn it back on and the warning and alarm would stop. Now, the alarm sounds much more frequently and there is a cracking/hissing noise that started coming from the range as soon as the power is restarted. I have had to shut-down the power supply permanently and call for service.
What does this mean and what is the solution to the problem?
There is no explanation for this "warning" in the manual's troubleshooting section.

Rick N.
4/23/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning. the issue is an electrical problem in the home not the appliance. the range is sensing either a bad neutral or bad line running to the range, this could be either a bad circuit breaker or a wiring issue,this could also be a problem from the main line to the house, there is one thing you should check yourself before calling and electrician. Pull the range out and unplug it. take a look at the cord where it connect to the range at the terminal block. Terminal Block WB17T10011      Main Product Viewsee if the connections are tight. look for burned connectors or loose connections. there are three screws make sure they are tight, from what your say about the crackling noise it sounds like there may be a bad connection or cord. the cord is connected to part number 255 on this diagram.

thank you.

I will work on the connections this afternoon and get back to you with what I discover.

Rick

Okay, After reading your post and looking at the diagrams I would recommend checking that before having a technician look at the range. Let me know later how you do on that. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

I checked all connections on both the range and inside the 220V 3-prong connection box on the wall that the cord plugs into. All these connections were very tight, with no evidence of any burn marks that might indicate arching from a loose connections. Everything looks clean and tight.

So I plugged the range back into the outlet yesterday morning and used it to cook dinner last night. About 12-hours later I woke-up to the sound of the alarm on the range with the same error code "bad line" being displayed on the digital readout. There were no sounds of hissing or cracking that my wife thought she had heard previously.

Do you think I should put in a new circuit breaker just to be certain there is no line problem before I call for Range technician ($80 service call)?

Where is is this sensor located that thinks there is a voltage input problem--in the range terminal block? Would this need to be replaced

Rick N

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Can you do me a favor and recheck the model number.it seems there may be one number missing like a 1,2,3,4 after the P.

Apologies...the previous model number I gave you was off the sales/invoice from the distributor.

The model and serial numbers below are directly off the inside lower oven door panel:
Model #: P B975D P2BB

Serial#: ZS2 13371Q

Thanks

Rick N

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Okay perfect,So at this point what works and what doesn't ?the burners work ? the oven doesn't ?

Everthing on the range works fine (both lower and upper oven, all burners, lights etc. all work normally)--until the sensor sets-off an alarm because it detects a problem with the incoming electric line. Once the alarm is tripped, you have to flip the circuit breaker and then the oven will again work fine until the sensor trips another alarm.

Often, the oven can be plugged-in for 4-8 hours before suddenly the sensor sets-off the alarm again. This delay seems odd if there is in fact a problem with the incoming line--would you agree?

Rick N.

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Theres no sensor per say.just the control , the control senses the power comming in. this would be an issue with the control itself. number 16 on this diagram. this is an expensive part, $307.00 the part number is XXXXX Sear's has it in stock @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Range-Par ts/WB27T11315/0022/364/Model-PB975DP2BB/0432/0124111?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G1090133&diagramPageId=00001&productTypeId=0124111&searchModelNumber=PB975DP2BB&subCompDesc=Control%20panel&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-RANGE&blt=11&shdMod=PB975DP2BB&keyId=16 when you had this pulled out to check the cord did you by chance pull the back covers (panels) and check all the wiring ? just in case I would do that before ordering the control. make sure theres no loose wires or burnt connectors on all the boards and control. if none are found replace the control. thanks , Bryan

The only panel I took off was the small one---so that I could access the terminal block.

Question:
Do you think I should replace the circuit breaker --- so that we know problem is not in the line?

If you can replace the breaker yourself that would be the way to start. sometimes if the breaker is arcing it will cause the range to fault. start there. also remove the back panels and check all the wiring and connectors you can. check for any loose ones.

ok. Thanks for all your assistance.

Rick N.

no problem Rick. This question stays open even after you rate me.you can come back anytime if you need more help, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician