Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an electric whirlpool duet sport dryer circa 2005.

I have an electric...
I have an electric whirlpool duet sport dryer circa 2005. Power comes on, can make all the selections, but when the start button is pushed, there's the normal click but then nothing happens. some history... a sudden blue flash of light (flame) occurred 2 or 3 dryer loads ago. any ideas?
4/12/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

where did you see the flash come from? in the control panel? Have you pulled the machine away from the wall unplugged it and check where the cord connects on the back of the dryer ? You may have blown a wire off, the lights could still light up but if one side of your power has burned off the dry will not start , can you check that? Thanks, Bryan

wires off the plug into the dryer look fine

Okay good, obviously you had some kind of a electronics blowout on this. Did you say you saw the flash near the control board? I know you looked at it but did you actually remove the control and examine the electronics good?

Also can you recheck that model number ? Open the door and there is a tag can you get me the number off that tag ? It doesn't seem to be coming up. Thanks, Bryan

the flame came out the bottom of the dryer between it and the pedestal it sits on

Oh okay, have you removed the bottom access panel beneath the door yet? It sounds to me like you most likely blew your thermal fuse.Thermal Fuse(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product ViewThis is on the blower assembly between the drum and the blower itself in the front middle of the machine once you removed that panel. Have you checked that yet?

No, I have not removed the bottom access panel.

Okay there are a couple of screws you need to remove and then you will have access to the blower assembly where the thermal fuse located, now it may not be the thermal fuse but it may be a wire or something right there in that area. So you're best to remove the panel at this point and take a look real good, unplug the machine first. This is the area you want to check, check all the wiring located in this area, if you do not find anything remove the top of the dryer and check the door switch wires also. Somewhere you going to find something that has shorted out or burned, let me know and if you need more help just ask. the panel is number 40 on this diagram,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

where is the thermal fuse located

It's located on top of the blower number 38 on the first diagram, it's kind of in of bad spot and had to see, it's between the drum and the blower housing on the top of the blower housing, I'm not sure thats your issue or not but here is a link to the part and there is a test you can do to test it if you have a voltmeter, click this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/3392519/2986?modelNumber=WED8300SW0?RCAID=1000065 if it turns out that it is bad you can order it at the same link.

replaced the thermal fuse and several loads later it blew again. called a svc man, stated the control board was bad after I told him the fuse blew and the clothes seemed very hot before fuse blew. I replaced the control board and fuse. I'm running the dryer on the casual setting because once again the clothes are very hot on the normal setting. Also, the sensing light stays on Sensing, never moves to Wet, Damp, etc. Pretty sure the fuse will blow again soon. could it be a bad heating coil, another thermastat

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Replaced the thermal fuse as suggested from Pro Tech. That failed after several loads. Replaced the control board and installed another thermal fuse. After drying the clothes on the Normal setting, the clothes are extremely hot. Also, the Sensing light stays on Sensing, never moves to Wet, Damp, etc. I'm sure the thermal fuse will blow again. Could it be another thermostat or the heating coil?
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see you have relisted your question .

I will try to assist you .

Lets try this with the unit running open the door and press on the door switch and tell me if you see the heating element glowing from inside the rear of the dryer ?

this will tell us if the heating element is grounded .

yes, it's glowing

ok if the element is glowing with the unit NOT running ,then the heating element is grounded and needs replaced .

CLICK HERE for part

if the heater is on unplug the unit or it will blow thw thermal fuse again .

Sorry, I misunderstood. I opened the door, pressed the switch and heating element is not on..so It's grounded

was the unit running before you opened the door ?

yes it was

ok so it was running and heating ,you opened the door and pressed on the door switch and you DID NOT see any glow is this correct?

running, heating, opened the door, dryer stopped, pressed the door switch and the heating coil did not glow

ok when running does the unit count down ?in the display .

yes it does

ok Have you replaced the Temperature sensor / thermistor on the blower housing next to the thermal fuse?

No I have not. In answer to your last question...the unit counts down until the clothes are about dry, at 8 minutes, then stops counting down

ok good info

Lets replace the thermistor and see it it clears the issue up .

it is what sense the temp and tells the control to cycle the heat on and off

CLICK HERE for part

Is that located next to the thermal fuse? Also, this just happened, with the clothes almost dry the Sensor light went to Wet and the clothes inside the dryer became very hot. The heat selection was on Super Delicate.

Yes it is located next to the thermal fuse on the blower housing and it is what senses the moisture in the clothes and sends the signal back to the control .

Does it have any control over the amount of heat the coil puts out?

no not itself ,but it sends the control the signal and the control then turns on or off the heater .

ok, because the heater is not turning off or being reduced during the cycle

I think the thermsitor is not telling the control what the true temperature is so the control just keeps heating

Ok, I'll get it installed and see what happens. thanks

no problem good luck .

And if you need to get a hold of me again ,just leave a reply . But I `m not on 24 hours a day .

ok, thanks

No problem

I had the thermistor tested and it's ok. Could the high limit thermostat be bad?

just because the thermistor ohms good does not mean it is good or that the thermistor circuit is good .

if the exhaust temperature is getting above 155 degrees it has to be in the thermistor circuit .

which consists of the thermistor, the wiring from the thermistor to the control or the control itself.

the high limit will shut the heat off at a temperature of 250 degrees at the heating element .

Which about the only way that will trip is if the element is heating BUT no air flow

is this dryer in an encloesd room ?

it's in an enclosed closet and has been for roughly 6 years

does this closet have a solid or louvered door on it ?

it doesn't but when we use the dryer, the closet door is always opened

I think I see the problem...I removed the heat shield around the heating coil and one of coil wires coming from the ceramic post is broken

was it touching ground (bare metal ?

yeah, looks like part of it is touching the metal heat shield...so why did the grounding test we did work?

not sure I have to suspect when the heater gets hot it expands and may not always touch ,

do you need the heater part number ?

sure. is the best way to replace it is to remove the back panel? Probably explains why my wife saw a blue flash before. Would this have caused anyother problems with the control board, etc?

The heating element is best replaced from the front of the unit .

should not have damaged the element .

CLICK HERE for part info .

did you get the part info ?
I see you have not gotten back to me as of yet , did replacing the heater fix the issue that you had?

Sorry, I thought I had responded. yes, replacing the coil corrected my problem. I had each of the thermostats and the thermistor checked and sent the replacement control board back. thanks for your help

Great to hear so glad we where able to get you up and running

Great job , so glad to assist you .

Just remember to rate we and not the first expert , if you would please ,

many happy dryings .

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

Wel,l Whirlpool Master Tech, though I appreciated your help, neither you or the ProTech gave me a correct answer. I've already paid $30 and I'm not inclined to pay an additional $30

Im sorry I thought I led you to the heating element that you first said was good ,then lated on found it was indeed bad .
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician