Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag front load washer that stops and shows a 3E

I have a Maytag front...

I have a Maytag front load washer that stops and shows a 3E code on the computer board. My mannual says that E3 means that the motor is not running properly. What is 3E?

I have already replaced the capaciter and 2 valves and then 3 additional pieces part #(902577) and still have the same problem. Now the tech wants to put in a motor drum and an electronic control.

Optional Information: 
Brand: Maytag
Type of Appliance: Washer
Model Number: MAH9700AWW
What have you tried so far?: I already answered this once. I have replaced 2 valves and the capacitor and then 3 part # XXXXX Now they want to replace the motor drum and electronic control. This is a 5 year old washer.

Detail Required: LOW; Urgency: LOW

4/8/2013
Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance, Home Appliance Technician

Pitstop Appliance :

Pitstop Appliance :

I am attaching a Service Bulletin from Maytag regarding this issue. Please tell me your serial number. They have a new control board with different programming to prevent this error code from happening.

Customer:

I think the serial number is XXXXX

Pitstop Appliance :

Ok, the first two numbers of your serial are what is referred to as the series number.

Pitstop Appliance :

Your washer would be a series 12 then.

Customer:

This is off the ticket of the tech that was here 4 times and I have a hard time reading his writing. I am trying to run a load (with difficulty). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn"t.

Pitstop Appliance :

Maytag switched to newer software to prevent this code starting with series 16.

Customer:

So do I need to repace the electronic control and the motor which the bid is $900? I already have put over $500 into this washer and the replaced parts did not solve the problem.

Pitstop Appliance :

The textbook answer would be to have the software upgrade first before replacing any of the other components, but the only way to get the new software is to replace the control board itself.

Pitstop Appliance :

If someone did a repair that did not work, they should not charge you!

Pitstop Appliance :

MAH9700 E3 Technical bulletin

Pitstop Appliance :

Click that.

Customer:

So you say to replace the Electronic Control, part #34001496 rather than replacing both the motor and the electronic control. Someone was here 4 times and each time I called the home office and said what you have done did not fix the problem. They still charged me.

Pitstop Appliance :

You will see at the bottom of that page- "At the series changes listed, the control software was updated to help improve spin performance and reduce ‘E3’

Series 16 for MAH9700AW*’s (Software changed from V311 to V313)"

Pitstop Appliance :

it is possible you still have a faulty motor, but I would not replace both at the same time.

Pitstop Appliance :

Not when maytag has an official paper stating the software could be causing the code.

Pitstop Appliance :

If you upgrade the control to the proper part and the code still persists..then replace the motor.

Customer:

So is this a warrenty issue? This was not a cheap washer and is not used a lot! This washer should not be having these problems and I do not think that puting another electronic control at the price of $320 and then maybe a motor drum at the cost of $370 without labor for any of this work is a good thing! It seems I would be smarter to get a new washer!

Pitstop Appliance :

But yes, the new control for your unit appears to be 34001496

Pitstop Appliance :

Only if it is still under the manufacturers warranty. I agree though, the parts for this repair are extremely expensive.

Customer:

Why and when was the software changed for this appliance?

Pitstop Appliance :

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Pitstop Appliance :

All the info they have released is in that service bulletin I gave you above.

Pitstop Appliance :

The date on that file is 6/19/2006

Customer:

This date is before the appliance was even installed!

Customer:

We built and moved into this house in May of 2007

Pitstop Appliance :

I can only give you the information, I do not work for Maytag. I totally understand your frustration and advise you to call their customer care line and see if maybe there is anything they can do for you.

Customer:

Maytag is a non-entity! I even had Sears out to check out my washer and they said right off the bat that I needed a new motor, said nothing about the electronic control, and wanted to charge me $950

Pitstop Appliance :

Well now you have proof in that paper. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know. If you are happy with my guidance, please rate me well. Thank you.

Pitstop Appliance

I talked to you yesterday about my Maytag washer and have reviewed the attachment you sent entitled "Technical Bulletin" from Maytag. My concern is that the information in the bulletin is in reference to a "E3" code and as I explained, I am getting a "3E" code which is what has confused the techs that have come to my house in the past. I still need to know what "3E" code is.

They are the same. Could be the computer, could be the motor or a loose wiring connection at the motor.

So it appears that the Hall Sensor may be at fault. Does this mean the Hall Sensor can be replaced or does the entire motor need to be replaced?

Unfortunately they only come together on that unit.

34001269 is the part #

Is it common for the Hall Sensor to fail or is it more likely to just be loose or dislodged? How can I detect this myself or how can I direct a tech to check this device?

The motor is accessed by removing the rear cover off of the unit. Reference the file I attached above.

Lastly, how can I or anyone else determine whether or not it is either the computer, the motor or something else instead of just replacing all the parts I have described in this correspondence? If I buy both parts, the computer and the motor, and replace one at a time to see which is at fault, are the parts generally returnable if not needed? Is this a labor intensive project? And, can my son, an engineering student in electronics make this repair when he comes home?

If you buy the parts from http://www.repairclinic.com/ they let you return them 365 days later, even if you install them.

Yes, your son should be able to handle the repairs easily.
Pitstop Appliance
Pitstop Appliance