Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My WU284 23 year old dishwasher wont fill with water.

My WU284 23 year old dishwasher won't fill with water.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer or your float switch is stuck in the up position. Open up your door and look in the front corner of your dishwasher there is a plastic circular float device. Wiggle this up and down and make sure it's in the down position. If it's stuck in the up position it will not fill. If it still doesn't work and you looked under the dishwasher and you don't see any wires unplugged then you will need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found the float valve on the inside left of the interior. No amount of adjusting it changes anything. New ideas??

I'm not sure what you mean "No amount of adjusting it changes anything"? Please explain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I should have said that the float is in the up position and I cannot change it.

So you'll need to remove the kick panel and look below the tub to see why it might be sticking. It must be seated down or it will not fill with water.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your answer did me absolutely no good. I don't have tools and the confidence to take apart the kick panel. I went to Sears yesterday and baught a new dishwasher. Looks like I wasted my $38.00 on you.

Anna Walters

I'm sorry you feel that way. I have no control over your abilities of course, but we're here to help out as much as we can although there is no way to control the way your appliance fails of course.