Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Having a problem with the washer stopping midway through cycle

- door locked is flashing...
Having a problem with the washer stopping midway through cycle - door locked is flashing and wash is flashing at the same time. Can manually turn to spin/rinse to then finish cycle. Had motor replaced recently. Also drained water manually through bottom right on front of washer. Seems to cycle through fine if I turn it off for a few days. Help.

Bosch Axxis washer model number WFL2060UC
3/29/2013
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Bosch service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

when the washer stops does the door unlock or seem like it has come unlocked?

Jon :

when the wash and door lights flash that usually is just indicating that the current cycle has been interrupted. not necessarily meaning that there is any kind of error. But doesnt mean that there is or isnt anything wrong with the machine.

Jon :

but I will say this, if the washer is stopping at the same point of the cycle and lights flash, but if the cycle is advanced it continues to wash as normal and will finish the cycle as normal then that will usually indicate a problem with the main control module or board.

Jon :

when the washer stops is it before it tries to drain?

Jon :

and when you have let the water out through the lower front access drain filter port, did you find any blockage in the filter?

Jon :

we can go over a few checks for the machine to determine what the cause of the failure is, so please get back to me here and I will show you a few things.

Customer:

here is what usually happens if the washer has been "off" for awhile. one load cycles through fine. then the next load gets "stuck" at the same point each time. that is when the "door locked" and "wash" flash simultaneously. once that happens I advance to spin/rinse and that goes without a hitch.

Customer:

I can't tell if it has drained but the clothes are completely soaked

Jon :

ok. thank you for the reply.

Jon :

you cant tell what part of the cycle the washer stops?

Jon :

like does it stop when it is agitating? or when it is trying to drain?

Customer:

well it seems like only about 10 minutes

Customer:

not sure - I usually walk away so I don't know if it starts agitating or not

Customer:

I would say it doesn't agitate

Jon :

regardless the fact that it runs through a cycle when rested then the very next cycle or other for that matter, will get stuck indicates the problem with the control.

Jon :

but lets be sure first and check the drain pump filter for any clogs.

Jon :

are you able to work on the machine now?

Customer:

no sorry at work and going to the hockey game later

Jon :

ok.

Customer:

but I have opened the drain

Jon :

i will tell you what to do and look for now, and when you get home you can try.

Customer:

in the lower right front corner

Customer:

ok

Jon :

then get back to me here again if you have any other questions and i will help you more.

Jon :

yes.

Customer:

it drains out about 1/4 gallon or water but doesn't appear to be clogged

Customer:

how can I check on the control panel?

Jon :

first you have to check the filter down there. then we can rule out other problems.

Customer:

so I guess my question why it would run a full cycle after being powered down and then not run completely on the next cycle

Jon :

the control cannot be checked unfortunately. we will have to check other things to rule that out first.

Customer:

ok, I don't think the drain is the issue

Jon :

that is the concern, the fact that when rested it works. but when in use for a while it doesn't. that is what we will work out when you have a chance to check the machine.

Customer:

I just unscrew the plastic handle and the water just pours out

Jon :

i have seen this many times before and it is either the way the machine drains out or the control.

Jon :

ok. hold on. i will explain exactly what to do

Customer:

so with the drain do I do more that just take out the plastic thing

Customer:

ok, thanks

Jon :

ok. here is what you need to do. i will list the steps then you can try them when you get home.

Customer:

ok

Jon :

first unplug the machine.

Jon :

then get some small shallow pans and big bath towels to catch the water that will come out of the drain port.

Jon :

flip down the access panel to the drain pump. you will see a small thin tube and a circular filter. if there is still currently water int he machine when checking the water will come out so have the towels and pans ready to catch the water.

Jon :

now even if there is no water in the tub there will be water in the machine that will still come out. again even if you dont see any water in the tub.

Customer:

ok

Jon :

first pull the small end cap off the hose and let as much of the water drain out of the tube then cap it back up. then twist teh circular filter and pull completely out.

Jon :

this is where the water will flow out from.

Jon :

that circular filter can have change, lint and other objects stuck in it. so when pulling it out, or when previously pulling it out, did you see any of these objects? if yes, then clean it out and set back in place and run the machine again.

Jon :

if there is any blockage int he filter this will cause a delay in the drain process and how freely the water drains out of the machine. and in this machine that works off a timed drain cycle, if not enough water drains out of the machine then it gets left behind in the tub and when it tries to spin t will recognize the extra water and stop. now when you advance to the drain and spin cycle it is like adding an extra drain cycle to the current cycle and the washer will drain again. allowing the machine to run through.

Jon :

this is why when it stops and run the cycle it will finish.

Jon :

so please first check the filter and let me know what you have seen in the filter.

Jon :

if there is anything or nothing in there let me know.

Jon :

if nothing then please tell me how the drain hose is hooked into the drain pipe in your house? sometimes the drain hose being hooked up incorrectly can cause this problem.

Jon :

run those checks and get back to me here.

Jon :

and if those checks pass fine then we know the main control board is failing in that particular part of the cycle and the main board will need to be changed.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Jon :

i can get you the part info for the main board so you can order it and install it with my help if you would? that will save you a lot of money.

Jon :

you got it.

Jon :

let me get the info for you now.

Jon :

do you know the last few digits after the uc in your model number?

Customer:

I will find out about the drain hose since we just turned the machines around in the laundry closet 90 degrees

Customer:

I will get those number for you

Jon :

ah. ok. then that could definitely be the problem, has the problem been happening since messing with the drain?

Customer:

possible

Jon :

also check to make sure that the drain house that come out of the back of the washer is not down the stand pipe to the wall more then 3 inches. if it is, then pull the drain hose back out a bit until you only have three inches of it down the pipe then re run the machine and see if that helps.

Jon :

yes, definitely possible.

Customer:

which one is the drain hose - have not been behind the machine?

Jon :

the drain hose is usually the grey or white hose that goes from the back of the machine up to the wall or stand pipe to the house plumbing.

Jon :

i'll get you a picture of it in one minute.

Customer:

ok, I have to take off - I will check back later

Customer:

probably on Monday

Jon :

the control module is part number 481304 and can be purchased at either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or at your local appliance parts store nearest you.

Jon :

ok. now worries. please just check that and get back to me here when you can. I will be here and will help you more.

Jon :

please remember to rate my performance positively so you can come back to me here and not have to start ove again. and after positively rating me here you can always come back to me here at any time and will be able to continue asking me questions and i will continue helping you for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Customer:

thanks appreciate it - how much is a control module?

Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

well let's hope its not that

Tom,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Run the checks outlined above and tell me what you find. especially the drain hose.

If you have more questions or concerns now and between checking the machine please feel free to get back to me here at any time and ask me anything you like and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician