Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My refrigerator leaks water. Tried everything. Dont want to

My refrigerator leaks water. Tried...
My refrigerator leaks water. Tried everything. Don't want to buy new. Help.
3/25/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good evening. can you tell me where the water is comming from ? is there a sheet of ice on the freezer floor ?

No ice on freezer floor. Water seems to be dripping from roof of fridge, from the complicated-looking finned areas. The dish beneath the area catches most, but not all of the water.

okay , your drain line is clogged, a common problem on these, you need to defrost the drain.on this diagram I marked in red where the drain runs, you have to remove the parts up in the refrigerator section and defrost all the ice, theres a drain hole under your coils in the freezer section that you need to get to also. do you have tools to take this apart ? graphic

My husband has a workshop loaded with carpentry tools and other common tools, but I'm not sure if special tools are required for this fridge project.What tools do I need?

just like regular tools, A Phillips head screw driver, and nut drivers. its not to difficult.if he has them he should be all set.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

One more question: Once the drain is defrosted, will I find foreign material in it which needs to be cleaned out with a brush or something? Guess I'm asking what caused this problem in the first place, and how can it be prevented from happening again?

this happens every now and again on these. it may never happen again though. its a poor design to be honest. you have water in a freezer which can freeze up. theres not much you can do short of taking the inside of the freezer apart (back panel behind your food) and wrap a bare piece of solid copper ground wire around the heater (its under the coils) and drop the wire down the drain hose about 2 inches. the wire will heat up from the heater and help keep this from freezer while in defrost.

Thanks. I will try this. (Yes, I do this stuff myself; my retired husband never seems to have the time.) If it works, you'll definitely get a tip! Thanks, again.

okay thanks> I'll be around if you need further assistance .

Sorry I was so late getting back to you but we had to wait a little for all the Easter ham and stuff to get eaten up before trying your advise. I wasn't sure how much of the refrigerator needed to be dismantled but figured to start by pulling the plug.

Got everything out of it, started unscrewing the freezer floor and asked my husband to keep disassembling it while I went I went to work. He got the whole freezer apart but said he couldn't get at that small bracket at the top of the (lower) fridge ceiling where the red lines were drawn on the diagram.

Turns out that part didn't have to come loose; after the ice melted, the problem seemed to resolve itself. (Hope it lasts)

Anyway, thanks to you, we saved $ by not having to get a new fridge!I'm sending you a bonus...thanks again!

your very welcome, Glad you got it repaired, you can always come back if you need me again, thank you very much , have a great day, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician