Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Reference: GE Downdraft Vent System PV98 The hood extends

Reference: GE Downdraft Vent System PV98

The hood extends and retracts, but often will tip sideways, either left or right, and then get stuck. It does this going both up and down. If I grab the hood while it is transitioning and keep it straight, it will not stick. The movable hood, it seems, will not stay parallel to the casing. Any suggestions? Or do I call a tech. Unfortunately, the warranty expired 6 days ago. Thanks, Neil

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good morning Niel, these are very difficult to work on unfortunately. What I would do first is call G.E., they are very good when it comes to the warranty,this being just 6 days out of warranty chances are they will take care of the issue, most likely one of the tracks is loose and a simple "as far as a tech goes simple" adjustment or tightening of the track will resolve the issue. If they say they wont take care of it I would recommend a service tech. once you start tearing these down if your not knowledgeable it can turn into a nightmare to be honest. Most of the time G.E. will take care of it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Calling GE and getting a tech in is a perfectly good answer. An easy fix, I could deal with. Otherwise, the tech is the solution. Not the "easy fix" answer I was looking for, but the service and advise was great. Thanks.

your welcome, I just didn't want you to get in over your head on this.Even as techs we sometimes have trouble taking these apart ans also there are usually special tools required,I'm fairly certain that if you "argue" a little with G.E.they will send a tech to repair this. have a great week and well wishes, Bryan