Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a 1 year old GE Profile Harmony (Model PTWN8050MWW)

that just stopped draining. I...
I have a 1 year old GE Profile Harmony (Model PTWN8050MWW) that just stopped draining. I tested it for clog by lowering the drain hose which lets drain well. I also disconnected the hose, the pump and checked for any blockage and there is none. The pump works when connected to 120V power outlet (outside the washer).
Would appreciate helping where else to look for the culprit.
Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon. do you have a volt meter ?

Yes I do

Hello Brian. Thanks and yes I do have a multi-meter.

okay can you pull the wires off the pump and test them for 120 volts while this is in drain ?

How do I get it to drain cycle since I already drained the water (without the pump) and the basket is empty right now.

there should be a drain/spin key on that control. is there? I'm still looking for the pictures of the parts.

There is a spin/rinse cycle. Would that work ?

yes that should kick the pump on also.

Ok will try it and let you know the result.Thx

okay , talk after.

Hi Brian,

Ok, here is what I did and the outcome.

Since it wasn't easy to test the power while the pump was connected to the hoses, I bypassed the hoses, made an extension from the pump power source (washer) to the pump outside the washer. I then plugged in the pump and put the probes of the multimeter on the back of the pump. Started a rinse/spin cycle and the voltage read 122.6V and the pump came to life. Quickly turned off the washer, disconnected and then reconnected the pump back to its place (hoses back) and then started a speed wash cycle with few clothes in. It worked the cycles to completion without any drainage problems. This is really strange and I don't believe we have found nor resolved the issue.

Please advise what next steps to do to diagnose the problem further other than using the washer normally.

Thanks

okay, well the only way now to tell if the pump is working correctly is to run a load. try running it and see if it drains,if it doesn't then remove the wire from the pump and hook up the external power to drain it. your board may have been scrambled and it may work now, its hard to say at this point. if it doesn't drain and run right let me know, that is real strange.anyway some controls can lock up they are electronic.

As a matter of fact, I'm on my second load (first small + speed wash) yesterday and a full load with heavy winter clothing early this morning. I will run a couple of more full loads and get back to you.

The board scrambling - wouldn't a reset (which I had done 2 days ago by removing power and plugging it back after 2 minutes) have fixed it ? I'm not sure how what we have done so far could have resulted in unscrambling it. FYI, no errors were displayed on the LCD screen other than it being stuck on spin (drain) cycle with the system seemingly attempting to drain but apparently not being able to trigger the pump into spinning.

I do agree with you that it is strange (specially if it continues to work) - my first suspicion had been bad or clogged pump but looked much better than I expected and worked both on and off the machine and sounded normal.

Thanks again and will update you later today.

Okay , I would just go ahead and use it.if it has another problem just come back and I'll be glad to continue to helps. rating me 3 or above does not close the question so you can come back anytime . thanks and talk later, Bryan

Ok here is a summary of today's wash cycles:

total 6 loads (4 average, 1 full and 1 intentionally overfilled).

5 of the loads drained properly and the overfilled one drained too but wasn't wrung well but still drained properly.

As stated earlier, I will be wondering if it is going to drain whenever we press the start button.

Thanks for your help

well from what your saying now my guess is the pump is not pumping as fast as it should, (getting weak) the drain cycle is a timed cycle and only drains for so long. if only the overfilled one didn't work correctly I would say the pump is the issue.

The overfilled load drained, that is, no water in the basket after the cycle has finished but it wasn't wrung as expected perhaps due to the overload (a queen size think winter comforter, sheets,pillow cases and a king size fleece blanket). The overloading was done for testing purposes only as we do not normally wash like this. I did a second run with the comforter alone which drained properly and wrung as expected. Other than that overfilled load, everything was wrung properly, as good as when the machine was new. I believe the spin cycle is responsible for wringing the water out and the pump for draining it. If the pump was getting weaker, wound't it have left some water at the end of all the other cycles we have tested so far - or not drained at all as it had done prior to the disconnection? I'm a bit hesitant to accept the weak diagnosis based on the tests done so far.

well Its hard for me to know what you washed, comforters are bad to wash in these at any rate. I thought you were doing regular clothes on a large cycle. At this point I would just run it and wait to see if theres an issue later. Just run it for a few days or a week and see how it does, it may have had what we call a suds block at one point and this may be gone now. this can happen. hope it stays running correctly, if not come back and we can go into this more.

Thanks - it is a 4.5 cu ft washer and it the manual says can be used to wash comforters. I think we will run the Basket Clean cycle more often and may be switch to non-cold water HE detergents to expel deposits/ formation of suds.

Thanks and will get back to you if the drain problem recurs. Are there better grade pumps (aftermarket) that I can consider should the issue eventually becomes a weak pump ?

How do I leave the issue open and still rate (says Rate to Finish)?

well I only thought it may be the pump because I was going by water level not load size. I think you will be fine. they don't make a better pump than the one thats in it. I know they say you can do comforters in these but its rough on them and they wear out much quicker. Take you comforters to the laundromat and wreck their machines instead ! LOL thanks and rating me 3 or above is appreciated this will not close the question so you can come back anytime. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Ok thanks Bryan - you have been very helpful although we haven't had the opportunity to get down to the root cause of the problem as it somehow resolved itself.

Your very welcome, I will leave this question open just in case. It seems you may have had a suds block but I cant be sure to be honest but I here if you need me, thanks and best wishes. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician