Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Ge Fridge model- PFCE1NJYDSS freezer working but too warm

My Ge Fridge model- PFCE1NJYDSS freezer working but too warm in fridge compartment 18oC. Been defrost overnight restart fridge but no change, can't hear the fan working in freezer?
open the freezer door and press the light switch in so the light goes off. does the fan start then ? make sure the refrigerator door is shut also. let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did it before, fan does not start.

okay, remove the back panel in the freezer section and make sure first that theres no frost jamming the fan.test the fan for power (9.75 VCD ) if you have the voltage then the control board is is good replace the fan. if no power to the fan replace the control board. this is the fan , Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X10185 Main Product View part number.WR60X10185. the control board is part number WR55X10730 and its number 801 on this diagram.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Fan is working but cannot measure the voltage, seem working freely no ice built up, quiet and low speed? cannot do anything with the mainboard, is it quite expensive to replace? or do they have any sensor with the fan to control variable spped?

Regards,

the fan is veriable speed. it should wind up to high speed if the refigerator section is getting warm it kicks into high speed. the board has a transformer that controls the fan. the board is expensive.let me see if I can find the points on the board to test the voltage. give me a few minutes.

Arrowed red is the connector to measure. Count holes from left to right just like you read. Not the wires but the holes in the connector.

Black meter probe in hole 3 and leave it there.
Red meter probe first in hole 4.
Then test again in hole 8.
The fridge must be operating and your looking for steady voltage "near 13 volts" In both tests. If you do not get the correct voltage the board is bad, if you do the fan motor is bad.

hope this helps you. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Bryan, that will help a lot, that's all for tonight.

Regards,

okay Mike thanks and good night. Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Optional Information:
What have you tried so far?: on March 13 2013 ask Brian from Protech this issue, got advise to check the board with meter, seems fine, replace the fan part no .WR60X10185. Fan now working good but still no cold air to the fridge, look like no airflow coming to the fridge compartment at all. Freezer temp -14oC, make less ice than before, fridge 18oC all time, at the back seems the coil where the fan not cold at all, no frost build up anywhere at coil?

it sounds like the damper isn't opening. can you check that and see if its stuck shut ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where is the damper? is it in the fridge compartment or frrezer?

in the refrigerator section. number. 219 on this digram ,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I remove the panel, the damper 219 shut when I opened it, manual open it.

After opened it suppose cold air with flow tru? I have not feel any cold air flow tru yet? Because I opened the door? or need time for the cold air build up? If that damper not working do we need to replace it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hi, so you manually opened the damper door? Did you see it open or hear it open?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i remove the panel where the damper situate, it on the close position with opening hole, I manually opened it. But I feel no airflow coming tru that opening, I presume may be another gate from freezer compartment shut to prevent the cold air flow tru the damper opening.

The vents in the bottom back on the refer floor may be blocked. Open the freezer door and see if you feel air come into the refrigerator threw the damper
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no air go through the vent to the damper at all.

The fan blade is not on backwards is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i order the fan motor and replace it, I have to cut the 4 wire (with colour code) and weld back on with the old one because they plug in with the clip with the right color wire( white, blue, yellow and red). Put the fan as in the correct position when I remove it, but don't know with way the fan will turn, clockwise or anticlockwise? And another suspect is when put the fan blade to the motor shaft any specific position ( how far deep in the shaft?).

I only put in the position so the fan blade do not struct any cover or parts around.

Deep is not as important as blade angle. if the blade is backwards it will not push air.
There is only a few thing that can cause your problem, Defrost problem, evaporator frozen and iced up or iced up vents located in back of freezer above fan. Damper door not opening. Fan speed or blade reversed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for the fan speed I already replace the motor, the speed control by the board, should it be faulty?

Have you got any iced up vents diagram?

I eliminate blade reverse, defrost problem, no ice build up at all at the back.

We only have faulty board lead to speed of fan (how fast suppose to be?), and vent blockade from freeer, but no ice build up in freezer grill?

Sorry for the delay. Never seen you responded. No diagram. If you look in the refer section on the floor in the back you will see the vents. Remove freezer back panel to access vents. The vents are just open grills nothing mechanical. If all else fails, remove the damper assembly and feel for air.