Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I changed my sub zero water filter and now ice maker isnt

I changed my sub zero...
I changed my sub zero water filter and now ice maker isn't making ice
3/2/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Often times when you replace a filter, there will be air that develops inside the water system of the refrigerator. If the air is not completely purged out, that will cause the water to trickle in through the ice fill tube and the fill tube will freeze up prenving the icemaker from making ice. Now the fill tube is located behind and above the icemaker coming from the back wall. It's usually not very easy to access, but you have two options.

1. You can turn the freezer off and leave the doors open for 24 hours to allow everything to thaw out.

2. You can try to thaw out the fill tube with a hair dryer pointed at the fill tube up above and behind the icemaker.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

It is not a fridge - it is a freezer. Model # XXXXX - 36F/S/TH Serial number F2819266.

I understand that... icemakers don't come inside fresh food refrigerators. The word "refrigerator" is interchangable in the appliance industry for both fridges and freezers. Either way, the answer is still the same and you still have the same problem/solution.

You might be right but it doesn't make sense as where the filter is is warm. Above the unit. I tried taking it out and back in -- pushed the reset button. Have you ever changed a sub zero filter yourself?

Yes, I have replaced pleanty of filters. And I didn't say that the filter was frozen---I said that the fill tube behind the icemaker is frozen. And if that's not the case, then this has nothing to do with the filter being replaced.

ok.. there is a small tube from ice maker to back wall of freezer-- is that what I heat with a dryer OR is behind the screwed in panel? If its behind the screwed in panel I'll have a sub zero tech come over and fix it. Disappointing that something that seemed so simply (pulling out old and putting in new filter caused such a problem). People do this every day (your to change once a year). ughh.

Yes, that is the fill tube. You shouldn't need to remove the back panel, just point the hair dryer at the tub that you can see for abuot 15 - 20 minutes and that should thaw out the tub.

And I agree. It's a really common problem because on a freezer only unit there usually isn't a way to purge the water out after replacing the filter which is why this problem happens quite often.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc