Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Mod. wtw66005w3, Type 590-owned

about 2 yrs. Just noticed...
Have Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Mod. wtw66005w3, Type 590-owned about 2 yrs. Just noticed that when set to "hot wash/cold rinse", when the water comes into the tub it is cold and does not run hot until well into the "wash" cycle.
I have checked:
1. screen on hot water side is clear. 2. disconnected hot line from washer and turned on the hot water and ran it manually into the tub- ran quite hot in about 10 seconds(washer is pretty close to hot water heater- about 20 feet). Live in Phoenix, Ariz.
3/2/2013
Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay, if you run the washer on hot/hot and cold/cold what happens with the water?

There is not a hot/hot setting; only hot/cold

settings are hot/cold; warm/warm; warm;cold/cold/cold; and tap cold/cold.

Are you still there?

Unless you have a good explanation, "0" stars for you.

applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Hi, fill the tub on hot setting. After tub has filled up, pause unit open lid and take temp of water. Let me know what it is.
If water temp is below 85 degrees F The most common problem will be the fill valve under the control panel. The other option is the control board. I find the valve is most likely the problem.. The part # XXXXX XXXXX If water temp is close to 85 degrees, the unit is working properly. Click on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBM-h9MIXQU to show you how to replace.
If you have any questions, post back. I will look for you.

The water temperature is plenty hot- too hot to leave my hand in it. Bear in mind that during the later part of the wash cycle it does run hot.

What is the temp when it first fills up?
Are the clothes coming out clean?

this is not a unit where the tub fills- just sprays water intermittently./

not really- that is a problem with this type of unit.

After it starts the agitation cycle stop the washer. There should be some water in the tub
Sorry, i forgot to tell you to do this with no clothes in the washer

OK, finally got around to it. Temp is 112 degrees F. Setting is at Hot/Cold.

Then you are good.
The coldest it should be is 85 degrees. 130 degrees at it's highest.

Thank you. BUT, please reread my original question wherein I stated that even when the setting is "hot/cold", the water entering the tub is cold until the machine enters the "wash" cycle. In other words, is it normal for this machine to use cold water during the "soak" cycle even though the water temperature is setting is "hot/cold"?

Yes, the valve turns on and off both valves. It has a thermistor to control water temp. You have it set to hot, you have hot.
The only setting that won't use both hot and cold, is the tap cold setting.

But, by "hot/cold" I mean setting for "hot" wash and "cold" rinse. So, why is the water cold during the "soak" portion- "soak" is the time right before "wash". I would think that the only time the water would be cold would be during rinse, and NOT during the "soak".

You told me it fills and is 113 degrees?

It only "fills" during the "wash" cycle- during the "soak" cycle it does not fill and it is cold water. The only time it is hot water is during "wash" cycle.

Ok, sorry. misunderstood you. Let me look at time chart. Be right back

Thanks for your efforts; I know that this has been a hard problem.

Sorry for the delay. The water at the start of the wash is cleaning out the dispenser cup. It is flushing the cup and pushing the soap and water through the clothes. It will last around five min. It uses the cold water and is completely normal. I am sorry about the misunderstanding.

But, the cold water continues all through the "soak" cycle- is that normal? The water turns hot only during the "soak" cycle.

Yes. the water turns hot for the wash, not soak.

Well, it was a long, arduous journey, but we have the answer now. Thanks.

Yes, i am sorry. I could have made it a lot shorter.Thank You for choosing Just Answer
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
applianceguy
applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service