Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Sub zero 550 has been great until very recently when frost

Customer Question
began to form on lower...
Sub zero 550 has been great until very recently when frost began to form on lower right back panel. I live in Las Vegas and would need to call someone but want to be sure they have experience with this model. One existing problem for several months is the refrigerator door swings fully open on its own when opened. Yet the seal seems adequate.
Thanks!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/1/2013
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately one of these issues sounds like a major problem. If you remove everything out of the refrigerator and remove the back panel to look at the frost behind this panel, you'll likely see that the silver evaporator coils run all the way from left to right on the back of the refrigerator, but only the right portion has frost on them. This happens when the compressor isn't run efficiently, or there is a freon leak. The only thing you can really do is thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer. Then remove the cover panel above the door and clean out the condenser coils from all the dust build up. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If all of that checks good and you still have a problem, you'll need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure to determien if you have a freon leak or need a new compressor.

As for the refrigerator swinging open fully, there is a cam and riser under the door made of plastic and as the unit gets older, the plastic wears down from opening and closing the door. This is a very common problem and cheap as far as parts are concerned (less than $20), but the entire door needs to be removed in order to replace the plastic cam and riser to get the door to shut and open properly.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
So the location of the frost does not really matter, the important part is that its only in one area and if there was a different problem, it would have frost all the way across the back near the bottom.

Either way, if you want parts for the cam and riser, you can order them from a place called American Appliance. Their number is 1.303.777.0993. This part may be cheap but it's definitely not easy to replace because as I said before, the door needs to come completely off which means the top hinge is removed and the door lifts up and off to access the cam and riser to replace it.

It is great to know, that there is a trustworthy site to ask long overdue questions. No longer will time pass due to the uncertainty of who to ask. I am still getting used to the site, which I feel will take a little getting used to. But the responses have been more than reasonable. They are professional, prompt, experienced, open ended... and as I stated truthful and sincere. Having this source available adds more comfort to everyday life.
Mary.
I appreciate all the praises and of course, if you need anything else--please juset let me know. We really do appreciate your business and try to be as upfront and accurate as we can without actually being there.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc