How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my microwave/oven has stopped and i found that the wire

This answer was rated:

Hi, my microwave/oven has stopped and i found that the wire touching the thermal cutoff has burnt, but there was continuity in the thermal cutoff, i removed the burnt plastic from the wire and put new tape and it worked again, but now it stopped again and wire burnt again and now the thermal cutoff is loose having sometimes continuity, my question is why does the wire burn in the first place and if its sufficient to replace the thermal cutoff?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

was the wire completely burnt off the connector ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont exactly understand the question, about one inch was burnt where it connects to the thermal protecter

okay sorry, what I'm trying to find out is was the wire just melted or did it completely disconnect from the thermal cutoff ? if its melting the wire the transformer is overheating .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it melted up to a point that there was no continuity in the wire until i removed the plastic pieces

okay, do you have enough room to cut the wire back and put a new connector on it ? they sell connectors at any hardware store, you need to get rid of the bad wire on that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can cut off the bad wire and connect a new piece of wire with a connector? and I forgot to mention that this is a microwave + oven not only microwave.

you can if you use the same Gauge wire and a solid connector.when you go to get the new connector bring a piece of the wire with you , also see if you can read what Gauge wire it is on the side of the wire. its usually printed on the plastic.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok once this is done and i will also replace the thermal protector I believe it will work but why you said " if its melting the wire the transformer is overheating ." so do I have to replace transformer, I dont know how it looks and if it pays?

well that could be causing the wire to overheat but sometimes just age can make the wire weak or a power spike. I would try replacing the wire first and see what happens. I thought you said the thermal cutoff was good ? is it still good ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Now the metal connector is loose so I ordered a new one online, Do I have to complete the answer now or I can wait till I complete the fixing so if i have questions I can ask?

accepting my answer doesn't close the question, it still remains open and you can come back if you need more info at no additional charge. let me know how it works, thanks, Bryan
Bryan and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you