Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE Profile Advantium Oven Model Number PSA1201RSS01 randomly

displays the message "Control Panel...
GE Profile Advantium Oven Model Number PSA1201RSS01 randomly displays the message "Control Panel LOCKED". Seems to be happening more often. Most recently was this week when microwaving 2 medium potatoes for 7 minutes. I had my plastic splatter cover over the potatoes. Not sure if that matters. Other times it's happened without the splatter cover. I would think if it's due to moisture the van would automatically kick on. But it's not. The oven was manufactured in August 2010. We've had it for 2 years. I'm concerned there is a safety issue.
3/1/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This has everything to do with too much moisture inside the microwave and there really isn't much you can do but maybe run the ven fan while the microwave is running and possibly that will get rid of the moisture at the same rate it's being created during the time you're cooking things (like potatoes) with a very high moisture content which take longer than 2 minutes or so to cool.

As for your conceran there is a safety issue--that couldn't be further from the truth. Certainly something has a possibility of shorting out and your microwave can get damaged, but these units are built so that even if instances like that happen (and they do happen quite ofen on microwaves) that everything is enclosed in non-famable protective casing and the sparks or fire would never spread or cause damage to the surrounding cabinet/house/you.

Now that being said, I have told people for years that it's a bad idea to cook bacon or potatoes inside a microwave. That's completely up to you if you want to continue doing this type of cooking---even though the microwave says that it "can" cook these items doesn't mean that it should because it's bad on ALL microwaves out there.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

I understand and I prefer real baked potatoes too! Smile

But I'm curious why a microwave as advanced as what I thought this was that it doesn't sense the moisture/heat and automatically kick the vent fan on? I have had that happen when cooking other items. Is that a heat thing versus a moisture trigger?

Inquiring minds.....

There is just no sensor built into the unit that will kick the microwave vent on automatically---I can't say that I know of one that does. They do have a sensor on the floor in case the cooktop below gets too warm---then it turns the fan on, but that is it.

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That makes sense. That might have kicked on when I was making soup or something with a lot of heat and moisture. Makes sense.

So bottom line (so I can tell my hubby) this is just the way it is. Deal with it. Right?

Unfortunately that is the botXXXXX XXXXXne, but if you remember to turn the vent on ahead of time, it should stop most of the issues.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Thanks so much! Hubby is satisfied too.

no problem and I wish you only the best. Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

All rated and tipped (50%)! Thanks again!

Thank you very much. If you need anything else at all, please just let me know.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc