Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Coldspot fridge model 70862990. The fan in

I have a Kenmore Coldspot fridge model 70862990. The fan in the freezer is very noisy with vibrations. I cannot see how to remove the plastic cover inside the freezer. I don't know if something is caught in there (like the cards we use to put on bicycle spokes) or if there is some lube needed or just replacement. I cannot find a service manual anywhere and it costs over $100 to have a sears tech come out. rather put that to a new one if I can't fix it myself. Can you help?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the fan is making noise, it means that either the fan motor has started to fail, or possibly ice or frost has build up and you need to thaw it out with a hair dryer. As far as how to remove the back panel, remove the shelf and remove the floor pan inside the freezer. Then remove all the screws going into the back panel and the back panel will pull off so that you can thaw out the ice with a hair dryer or remove the fan motor for replacement

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your timely reply. I will do this tomorrow as it is close to bedtime for me and getting into a project at this hour is not good. Should I rate your advice now, or wait until I follow this instructions to see if I need more help?

Not a problem. You can rate me whenever you'd like, but you can ask follow-up directions regardless.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did rate your service thanks. But I am not clear on when and how much will be paid. Thought it would say somewhere but all I saw was a "tip" section which I think is different is it not? I wasn't given an option to select an amount to pay, is that normal?

The rating has gone through so I appreciate that. But there is definitely no need for a tip so please do not bother with that. As for the amount to pay, there is not an option to change price other than selecting detail and urgency. The website will compute a price based on how busy the site in and such. The value of this question appears to be $50.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried your suggestion and it does not work. All hardware and shelves removed but the back panel does not come out, seems trapped by the ice maker. The plastic cover does not separate from the back panel and it seems trapped by some duct coming from the refrigerator below. how do I get the back panel off to get at the fan?

The entire BACK PANEL needs to be removed, not just the plastic cover. And yes, you also need to remove the icemaker. There are just a few screws going into the wall holding the icemaker in place, then you disconnect the wire harness and the icemaker will pull out.