Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have an amana le8317w2 electric dryer that runs but doesnt

i have an amana le8317w2 electric dryer that runs but doesn't get hot. it only blows cold air. i replaced the thermal fuse and it worked great.....for two days. now the fuse is bad again. i assume it's the thermostat that's causing the fuse to blow. any suggestions?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good evening. the one thing you should check first is to make sure your vent is not clogged, Have you checked that ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i first replaced the fuse, the vent was dislodged and the bottom of the dryer was coated in lint. I cleaned it out and hooked the vent up properly. So now the venting system works fine.

okay if your sure the vent is clear and the air is blowing outside real good then there are a few things you need to check. one is the heating element itself and make sure its not shorting out. test the continuity to ground. what was the part number of the thermostat you replaced ? was it Manufacturer Number 40113801 ? this one . Thermal Fuse 40113801 Main Product View
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is the exact part i used as the replacement fuse.

I was thinking it wasn't the heating element, since it worked fine once the fuse was replaced. I was thinking the thermostat wasn't kicking out at the right temp, letting the fuse get too hot and burning out. But I'm only guessing.

I have a VOM meter. how do i go about checking continuity with ground?

Also, and who knows if this is related or not, the timer doesn't work in automatic/regular/delicate mode. It just runs forever till I turn it off. It does work in timed dry and automatic permanant press/knits mode.

thanks

okay great that was the next question I had for you. the problem is there are several thermostats that run the heat in this, theres the cycling thermostat. Cycling Thermostat Y61372          Main Product Viewthis one runs the heat on timed and automatic. and then theres the automatic thermostat which tells the timer to advance. I would replace both of them if your having issues with the automatic cycle. the automatic thermostat is part # XXXXX and the cycling thermostat is part # XXXXX the other thing you want to check is the high limit . High Limit Thermostat W10116735 Main Product Viewheres a link to a video that shows you how to test them. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/W10116735/1257108
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay, so replace the three thermostats and the fuse again? just want to be 100% sure.

thx!

I would because any of the three could be an issue. these are very hard to check it would need to be done live to see if their cycling which can be dangerous. these machines have way to many thermostats. ! hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

awesome. thank you. I'll just replace all three. no need to electrocute myself while testing a $20 part. they're just getting replaced.

thanks so much!

brian