Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

having problems with my icemaker. Model of refrig is: FRS26ZGHW2.

having problems with my icemaker...
having problems with my icemaker. Model of refrig is: FRS26ZGHW2. Have had problems in the past and replaced icemaker and water valve (1/24/13) 2 days ago, had water leakage in unit and spout froze up. Thawed this out ,including the cable connectors(used hair dryer) but nothing works. Had a spare water valve and replaced it --still nothing works. Any suggestions?
2/16/2013
Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Is the problem that you are having water leaking in the freezer?

NO I took care of that by thawing out the spout. I also took out the icemaker and thawed it out too because the ice cubes would not dispense.Ive Had problems with the water valve in the past that's why I replaced it too!

Ok is the unit not making ice?

The unit is not making ice

Ok did the new ice maker look different then the old one? Mainly did the metal arm look different on it?

no

Pull of on the fingers on the ice maker. This ill manually start the ice maker cycle. Once it starts moving allow it to cycle. Does the ice maker fill with water?

I assume you mean the fingers that are attached to the large gear on the front. I can move them up slightly. So far nothing is happening!

Yes. If you turn the gear and pull up on the fingers and get it to click a couple times it should start to advance.

I reallycan't turn the gear enough to move the gear to the next tooth.

The ice maker is a pretty simple function. It consist of only a couple parts. The ice maker. A hose from the valve to the ice maker and the valve. Dis connect the hose from the valve that goes to the ice maker. Try to blow through it. If you can then it is good. With out turning the fear we cant cycle the ice maker so you would have to guess at what part is bad. I would start by replacing the ice maker again. If you just replaced it the ice maker should be under warranty.
Appliance Man

This is [email protected] noon, I finally got the old icemaker to make ice. But the cycle was extremely slow (approximately 3 to 4hours). I ordered a new icemaker that arrived yesterday morning. I installed the unit at approximately 2pm yesterday and it has done nothing. I checked the water line and it is clear and not frozen. What's wrong?

Check the temp in the freezer. It needs to be 0 degrees. If the freezer isn't 0 it wont make ice.

My freezer temperature is18 F. A week and a half ago the icemaker was making ice at the rate that the tub was overflowing. In fact, it appears that some cubes stuck on top of the maker causing the incoming water to overflow (creating the original problem). Following your suggestions I lifted the fingers to make it cycle. The problem is that the cycle was taking 3 to 4 hours .When the new icemaker came I installed it and left it in for 24hours----It did nothing! i reinstalled the old dispenser and after 4 hours I lifted the fingers and the unit cycled and at some point the tray filled with water. The water is frozen in the tray and has been that way for at least 6 hours. What do I do now? Why didn't the new unit work? And why won't the old unit dump the frozen cubes

If the unit is 18 it wont make ice. Turn the temp down in the freezer. The freezer needs to be 0 degrees.

Got the freezer down to 0 by cleaning the ice off of the coils with a hair dryer. Its making ice cubes now but only barely. About 10 ice cubes during the last 10 to 12 hours. The single water valve works with the chilled water dispenser, so it must be working.

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Do you still need help with your problem?

No the old unit is working fine (all weekend) The new unit has a problem and I will have to send it back. It will only dispense enough water to fill 3 or 4 cavities. I tried to adjust the timing screw with no success.

Thanks for your help-- the key was the zero degrees. Because of the ice buildup on the coils, the defrost cycle was not suffcient to totally clear the ice buildup. With the coils clear the temp dropped to zero and we were off to the races. Thanks again for sticking with me. I know that I now have a better understanding of how the icemaker system works.

Appliance Man
Appliance Man