Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

we have an Refrigerator with the freezer on top and an ice

maker , IT has stopped...
we have an Refrigerator with the freezer on top and an ice maker , IT has stopped making ice, I have done all the simple things as sugessted, change the filter at the water supply hair dryer to melt all the ice out, I did notice that in the back there is a connection where the water hooks to then has a small tube going up to the ice maker, the water does not come out of the small tube, I also notice there is power to this unit could that be the problem?
2/4/2013
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Was there ice in the actual ice maker when this first started..?

No Ice it quit making ice a few days ago

Ok great so there was no ice in the ice maker at all when this first started...Most common problem is a frozen fill tube..(The small Waterline leading to the back of the ice maker)..Remove the tube from the back..Check for blockage due to frozen ice..Mainly happens at the elbow at the back of the ice maker..Some units you can remove the complete elbow at the back from the outside..Thaw it out then see what happens..

As I stated before I did all that there is no water coming out of the tube in the rear from the bottom it does come in to the small coonection at the bottom where the feed line comes up from the basement but from the small unit there is no water, it is small and has an electric connection

You have water to the fridge from The homes supply line..Correct...From there the waterline enters into the water valve...Disconnect the waterline at the valve..Blow through the line from the valve to the ice maker..This will guarantee that you do not have any blockage from the water valve to the ice maker...If ok..What you can do is put power directly to the water valve..With the water on the solenoid should allow water through the fill tube..If not..Replace the valve.

So that valve at the bottom is a solenoid which can prevent water from going through it? if it is bad?

Correct..Most likely there are two located at that point..One for the ice maker..And one for the dispenser...Follow the waterline to the solenoid from the ice maker...Pull the electrical plug off..This is were you will be putting 110 volts power to the valve...With the water supply turned on..You should get water flow once power is connected...If not ..Replace the valve....If so..Then you either have a blockage from the valve to the ice maker in the waterline (Blow through from the valve to ice maker) or the ice maker is faulty.

If you have any further questions i ill be standing by..Also please remember to rate my answer to you at "Ok" Or greater so that i may be credited through the system for my time helping you today..Thanks Bob

Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal