How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barry G. Your Own Question
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 6823
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Barry G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a GE Profile refrigerator. We have problem and needs

Customer Question

We have a GE Profile refrigerator. We have problem and needs repair. The freezer side melts the ice in ice maker and the whole freezer fills up with frozen ice when it returns to normal
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Barry, thank you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

When this happens have you noticed if the refrigerator is operating or quiet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Serial GM437011

I have not paid attention if the fridge is quite or working. . It seems normal operation.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, check the bottom of the ice maker. Can you find drops on the bottom or on the lever at the bottom?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
If you find my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and leave an ok or better rating.

Turn off the ice maker at the switch, turn off the water to the refrigerator and replace the inlet valve.

The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. One side is for the ice maker and one side is for the dispenser. Its a dual valve in one body. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically. Below is a link to one site that has that inlet valve.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was looking for a repair man to come and fix the problem. I am not a handy man and have no instruments.

I think I made a mistake by choosing this site. I do not want to be charged for it.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
I understand, I will forward you to customer service.

Have a nice weekend,