Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher that quit working recently.

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher that quit working recently. First, the Delay button no longer worked. Then after 1 or 2 wash cycles, we just had a flashing light (Quick Rinse, I believe) and pressing none of the other buttons changed that, except that pressing Cancel got a few bars to light up in the timer display. I've done all the recommended procedures (killing power, holding the Lock button down, etc.) but it still refuses to go beyong the flashing light. I assume the Control panel is at fault, but wonder if there is anything else that might be at issue here.

Thanks for your help,

Fred
Hello my name is Chas. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. First, we will need to troubleshoot your issue as there is most likely not a quick fix. Please do not to rate until our conversation is finished, you can reply to me any time even after rating by clicking on reply to expert. Please also note, some issues require parts to be replaced which is out of my control (though I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX was).

Do you have a hi temp wash button and a heated dry button on the unit?.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Close the door, then do the following within 6 seconds..

press these buttons.

Hi temp wash
heated dry
hi temp wash
heated dry

All the lights should come on then go through a reset cycle, see if it does this...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It does

Now trying a cycle and see what happens... Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After I pressed the HiTemp amd Dry buttons and it went through its reset sequence, it went into a Rinse cycle of about 3 minutes. Then shut down with no lights flashing. I then tried the Delay button and it now works, so I cycled it through until I had no delay, then pressed Normal wash. It now has filled and appears to be going about its business normally. Does that mean it's cured??

That should reset the computer, if the problem returns then the computer will need to be replaced...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one last question. In your experience when the selection panel seems to be stuck and flashing on one button, is it usually the computer unit that is the issue or is it sometimes the pushbutton unit itself that is at fault? In other words, if this happens again, is it likely the computer that has gone offtrack? And what is the likely cause of that, or is it just something that happens with these control units from time to time.

Anyway, thanks a lot for you help - it is much appreciated.

Fred

A lot of times a stuck key will also cause the light to flash and make nothing else work either.. I rarely go through a week of working on them without something like this happening, so yes it is very common..