Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Chest Freezer Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN The temp

I have a Kenmore Chest...
I have a Kenmore Chest Freezer Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN The temp alarm went off and the freezer is 20 degress f. I hear a click every few minutes like it is trying to kick on but nothing else happens. Of course I can't find my owners manual, or one online. I took the side panel off and it is dusty in there. I was going to clean out and plug back in to see if that works but though I would try this site first, it has helped me out in the past. I haven't defrosted the freezer in about a year. I usually do this once a year and was about to.
2/1/2013
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician

Hi there and thank you for choosing this service.

based on your statement, this sounds like your start device is bad which is trying to start the compressor but can't seem to do so.

go around the left or right side, tell me if you can see an access panel where the thermostat control should be located?

I already have it open

Okay, now can you hear the clicking sound coming from the compressor?

Yes it just clicks, hums for a few seconds then shuts off.

Okay great! unplug the freezer, there is a white device that is attached to the compressor with a few wires going to it, remove it then tell me if it has a burnt odor and if it rattles if you shake it around?

How do you remove it. I took the snap wire off.

After that just wiggle it out, it will come right off the three pins.

No burnt smell, definite rattle and small bits of metal coming out when I shake it.

Okay great! so that right there is your problem, replace it and you are good to go. here is the part number for the Compressor starting device

NNN-NN-NNNNbr/>you can get it online at www.repairclnic.com it will only cost you $3.00. if i have been helpful and if you have no further questions, please leave a positive rating before you go. thank you and have a great night.

If there is nothing else that i can help you with, please leave a positive rating so that i may receive credit. thanks again.

How do I remove the White wire?

The wire just comes right out, you may need to pull in it because they tend to get stuck.
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
gst85
gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician