Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The temperature sensor keeps clicking and moves up to 22 degrees. The

The temperature sensor keeps clicking...
The temperature sensor keeps clicking and moves up to 22 degrees.
The only number we can find is situated at the back on an orange label stuck to the motor. The number is XXXXX 95 AA
220 - 240 volts - 50 hz - suction
6 524 02 96939
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/23/2013
joeyt56
joeyt56, Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX ill be helping you today. The numbers you provided were off of the compressor but were not the model number. Look inside the unit for a tag on either the side wall or the ceiling and it should say the model number. I would have to get a model number to better assist you.

While your looking for that can you tell me if the compressor is hot and if the fan next to it is running at the same time the compressor is?

Hello Joe, There are absolutely no numbers anywhere else on the freezer, either outside or inside.

On the front of the freezer it says 'electronic A Class' if that helps.

The compressor is warm to the touch but not hot. We cannot hear a fan of any kind.

Thanks,

Peter Stevenson

Ok is this an upright or chest freezer? And how old do you think it is

About 8 - 9 years old.

Is it an upright or a chest freezer?

It is an upright freezer.

Ok since you have said you don't hear any fans running I need you to remove the back panel and find the condenser fan. It should be in close proximity to the compressor. If the compressor is running then the fan should be as well. If it is not running give the fan blade a quick turn sometimes they seize up and a little help will get them going temporarily. If it does not go then we need to test for power. This will require a voltage meter, if you have one handy test for 120v to the fan motor. Depending on the model you have some have a plug right at the motor you can disconnect and test for power. If not follow the wires back and you should find a disconnect somewhere. If you are getting 120 volts then you need to replace the fan motor. If you are not getting 120v let me know and we will have to go in another direction. Remember you will only have power to the fan motor if the compressor is running.

If the fan is working fine then we need to look inside the freezer. Go through everything I just told you first and let me know what you have found and we will go from there.

I don't have a voltage meter, but I will look at the fan later today and let you know.

Please see attached photograph. I hope it helps. I can't see a fan.

Without a model number I won't be able to provide you with model specific information such as wiring diagrams and service information. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase and start guessing at answers so I will opt out and hopefully another expert can help you. Sorry and good luck.
Relist: Other.
I would have thought this was a fairly regular fault with Whirlpoolfreezers. I really need to know if this can be remedied easily.
Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician

Inside the freezer are shelves, does these shelves frost before when the unit is running?
Or this is a frost less upright freezer with fan and air vents inside?

-

You said the compressor is warm and not hot.

But. is it running? Vibrating when you touched it?

Or do you hear any clicking sound coming from the compressor that tends to repeat every minute or so?

-

It is not a frost free freezer.

We have de-frosted it recently but still clicking and temperature still flashing and changing.

Can you look at the picture and tell us what the compressor is. Is it the black object?

We can't hear any noise from the back of the freezer, but the freezer is still working.

The clicking sound we hear comes from the temp display at the top on the front of the freezer.

The compressor is the black steel ball at the back.

If the unit is still cooling down, then it is just something on the controller.

A button could have stuck that is why the set temperature is changing all the time.

Can you take a picture of the controller please and post it here?

Would the temperature displayed go around certain numbers let us say from 10 to 25 F?

-

Hello Francis,

Please see the attached photograph showing the control buttons on the front at the top of the freezer.

The temperature range is from - 19 to -23 and variable.

Thanks,

Peter Stevenson

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the picture.

So, the display is changing from -19 to -23 and then back to -19 and so on, like a loop?

Is that correct?

If it is, then I would say the button that is used to change set temperature is stuck close.
Is that the yellow button near the thermometer icon or is it the -/+ icon?

Which ever button used to change the set temperature, try to push it again and feel if there is a feeling of a contact getting close or if you can compare the feeling to other buttons on the panel and see if there is a difference.

You can also try to use an adhesive tape, use it to pull the surface of the button hoping that the contact would open up.
Observe if the display woulds top changing.

-
The electronic controller thinks that the button is being pressed that is why the display is changing always.

Yes it is the -/+ icon for setting the temperature.

I have tried loosening it but nothing seems to happen. It will change the temperature when pressed but will not stay on the one set and starts to click again and change independently. It has the same feel as the other buttons.

Regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

With these added info, I would say you could have a bad controller. The electronics behind all these display and thermostat that controls the compressor.

I can not say you have a bad control panel since you said that you can control the set temperature with the button, so the button is not stuck plus it feels the same as the other buttons.

I would say, it could be the electronic main board or the electronic controller itself.

Just replace it and hopefully, the clicking would be gone and the compressor should run until it reach correct temperature.

-
Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician

Hello Francis,

You are probably correct but I feel that that will be more effort than it's worth btrying to get all that sorted.

So, yesterday we bought a new freezer.

Many thanks for your assistance, at least you tried different things.

Thanks again,

Peter

Hello Peter,

You are very much welcome.

Too bad it is not something simple.

I appreciate you rating me with a " Good Service"

Thank you very much too and God bless.

-
Francis
Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician