Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I am having a devil of a time with a GE gas range (JGBS07PEH1WW).

Customer Question
I can get the stove...
I am having a devil of a time with a GE gas range (JGBS07PEH1WW). I can get the stove burner's lit and working, but the oven has been another story. I have replaced the igniter, and replaced the safety valve, and the regulator, and cleared the line to the safety valve, and cleared the bake burner tube, . . . but I am still not getting the safety valve to open and allow gas down the bake burner tube. I need some help in getting this safety valve to open and light the gas burner tube. What am I missing??
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2013
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 5 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the igiter glowing at the bake burner when you turn the oven to bake?

Oh, my, yes!! glows a bright yellow, beyond orange.

OK and does broil still work?

No broil tube. Just has the single bake. And I have also replaced the riastat and temp probe.

There is no reason to replace the reastat or temp probe if the igniter is glowing.

Do you have and amp clamp to test the amperage that the igniter is pulling?

Yes, and I am getting 3.4 Amps. I have read that the range needs to be between 3.3 to 3.6 Amps.

OK perfect, so that is a good reading. Unfortunately that only leaves the gas getting to the oven or the oven gas safety valve. The stovetop is still working which means you're getting gas so that only leaves the oven gas safety valve. I know you said you replaced it already, but there is absolutely nothing else that can cause the valve to not open up since the igniter is glowing and drawing 3.4 amps. Do make sure you give the oven 2 minutes for the valve to open, although if you're gone through the trouble of replacing all these parts, I'm assuming you've given it longer than 2 minutes.

And yes, . . . I have let the igniter glow for as much as 20 minutes. I will look to replace the safety valve again, and see if possibly the valve is bad.

Could the wiring harness have a break somewhere I'm not seeing??

No, there is not a problem with the wiring harness or the igniter wouldn't glow. Absolutely NOTHING can cause this problem except the safety valve based on what you have told me.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc