Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized
70080267

Our Sub-Zero refrigerator (Model 680) stopped working last

Our Sub-Zero refrigerator (Model 680) stopped working last evening -- no power to the unit and circuit breaker had tripped. Reset the breaker. Refrigerator side seemed to work okay but the freezer side temperature rose rapidly reaching 90 F. I shut off power via the breaker. The unit is ten years old. Any sense of the problem and how much it may cost to fix it?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Turn the power back on, are you able to tell if both compressors a operating on the top?

Wait about 10 minutes then open the freezer and feel around the light, is the light hot like its staying on?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not want to turn the power on again. When I did the first time the temperature in the freezer compartment rose very rapidly (exceeding 90F) and tripped the breaker again. This strikes me as a fire in the making.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give a proper response, there just is not enough information for me to be able to. I will relist your question for all techs and perhaps someone else will be able to do that for you.

Barry

Hi my name isXXXXX have been appliance repair tech since 1992.
It seems to me you have a heating element that has shorted and causing the freezer element to stay on. I would not recommend leaving this plugged into power. I can advise you on how to replace the element if you need technical repair help, and i need to know if you are familiar on using an ophm/volt meter. This would be needed on the correct diagnosis of the heater or control shorted. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks but this is beyond my pay grade so I have called for service.

No problem, hope they get it fixed quickly.
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized