How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81965
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

GE two door refrigerator with freezer drawer at the bottom.

This answer was rated:

GE two door refrigerator with freezer drawer at the bottom. Internal chilled water dispenser occasionally makes a rattling noise, as though line either has air or is ice up.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


OK so that makes a big difference, this is an Amana, not a GE. Amana is made by Maytag. On many of the new french door models built by Maytag (that would include Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, and Amana), there is a common theme where the produce freezes. The manufacturer is well aware of this and has designed a kit to correct the issue. The reason this happens is that the air from the freezer below the refrigerator migrates up into the bottom of the refrigerator and freezes the crispers. If the problem goes on long enough the water dispenser will stop dispensing water because the water tank behind the crispers freezes. To fix the problem, just thaw water tank with a hair dryer. Then order and install kit part number 12002776 and the issue will not come back.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Tyler Z. and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me more about the fix kit? Is it free, or how much - approximately - does it cost. Also, more importantly, how complicated is the installation. I am reasonably competent in most household repairs (washers, dryers), but have never been "inside" a refrigerator. Hopefully, just some sort of shield around the tank.


Also, I see the water tank behind the crispers. That looks like a very long process with the hair dryer

It is not free. It's a fairly cheap kit at about $25 and below is a link to the kit.


It comes with instructions and takes only about 20 minutes or so to install so it's definitely something that the average home owner can install.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

About the temporary hair-dryer fix. Is that done in place, or should the tank be removed? Are we talking about a half hour with the hair dryer? Or is the freeze up just partial. Some water comes through, but just a trickle.


I have ordered the kit. Looks like just a strip of insulation.

That's done in place. Just 15 minutes or so to partially thaw it and then you can run water through the dispenser to melt the ice quicker.

As for the kit, it has insulation and some perma gun to plug up a vent hole. It'll come with instructions on how to install it which is really the important part since it's not really easy to explain.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again. I received the kit, and the instructions were certainly straightforward. Two problems, however. With the insulation strips in place on the back edge of the crisper frame, the frame cannot be re-installed; it projects too far out into the body of the fridge. There is already a factory-installed styro-foam barrier against the back wall of the refrigerator at where the frame fits against, preventing this. Or should this factory foam be removed? (It has written on it "do not remove"). The second problem is that the deli housing in the back wall does not have a depressable tab on the side, and does not look like it can be rotated downward as per the kit diagram. Nor do I see how I can pull it outward from where a fixed tab on it fits into the back wall. These parts are fairly weak plastic, and the last thing I want to do is break a part. What next?

So it sounds like your unit may have already been upgraded at the factory if it has foam behind the crisper frame, so you don't need to do that. What you do need to do is locate the hole on the back where the air comes from the freezer into the deli drawer. Plug the whole with perma gun and then just stick a needle through it so that only a small hole exists instead of the large hole that was once there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, computer problem fixed, and I have your response. I am having difficulty getting at the air hole. The kit instructions talk about depressing a tab on the side of the air housing, but out unit does not have a depressible tab. The housing does have a fixed tab IN THE BACK that fits into a small slot on the back wall, preventing the housing from being pushed down. I have tried gently to pull the housing toward me to disengage this tab, but I don't want to force anything. So now, I don't know how to get at the famous air hole in order to plug it. Incidentally, what size should the hole be reduced to? A needle is pretty small; the kit instructions call for a hole the size of a nr. one screw driver. I would guess that to be about 2-3 mm.

Can you take a picture so I can see exactly what you're seeing? As far as how large the hole... Fairly small. 1-2 mm in diameter is all you want. About the size of a q-tip shaft without the cotton.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will do. Will tale a few minutes.

Ok, just post back when you can.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I sent a response that I was unable to attach my photos. The "clip" attach tool requires a url. My photos do not have a URL. I tried a couple of copy-and-paste methods, but the response screen would not accept them. So I have no idea how to send you the photos, unless you can explain how I can attach them to this screen, or I have an e-mail address I can send them to.


There is a paper clip button 2 buttons over from the smiley face over top of the chat box. Press this button and then click the "browse" button. A new box will pop up. Press the "browse" button again. Search through your computer files and locate the picture.

Double click on the picture and press "OK". Now that should bring you to your first pop up screen where in the lower left corner you can press the "insert" button to insert the picture.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no browse button, and none appears when I press on the clip button. This is very frustrating. Sorry.

I'm not sure what to say. When you press the paper clip button, you don't get a screen that looks similar to the one below?

OK perfect, I see it, thank you. So you can pry on the left side to unclip the tab going into the back liner if you want, but the problem is that the back liner can get damaged a bit even when doing it carefully, so you can just shove some perma gun up into this hole in the picture below and then poke a hole through it if you wanted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will do. Thanks for your patience. Incidentally, the screen that opens when I press on the dialog "clip", is not the screen you showed; however, there was an icon on my screen that turned out to be the browse button, but I had to highlight it before is said "browse".


I guess we wait a few days to see if the problem is solved. I will get back to you then and let you know if the problem is solved. Is that the way I should handle this?

sure thing. It's possible that your browser is different or a different version, but it sounds like your window definitely didn't appear correctly. Just let me know in a few days if you still have problems.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still have the problem. As before, a loud chattering noise and flow reduces to a trickle. Doesn't occur all the time. Both refrig and freezer are set on 3. Just two of us in the house, no kids, so doors are not opened a lot.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I should add that we have had he refrigerator for about 4 years. This problem just started within the past year, so it would seem something has changed in it since new. The changes you suggested would seem to apply to a condition existing when we bought it. Does this help?

I'm not sure what to say other than to replace the damper assembly inside the refrigerator. That could possibly be making the chattering noise and the damper is the part that adjusts how much air comes into the refrigerator from the freezer... But it doesn't really affect just the bottom of the refrigerator, it affects the entire refrigerator. Cold air does sink so it's possibly it's only letting a little too much air in, but not enough to freeze the entire refrigerator. The part number is W10196393 and it it's located just behind the center vent at the top of your refrigerator against the back wall. Below is a link to the part I'd recommend replacing.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again. Since we last talked, I have replaced the solenoid valve, but that did not solve the problem. The actual noise is coming from the filter unit in the upper right inside. I do not use a filter; i just keep the unit-supplied plug in it. i removed the plug, and then re-inserted it tightly. Worked again for a day, then the chatter is back. Any new thoughts?

The only idea I would have is to replace the filter receptacle where the filter plugs into.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It looks like this means disconnecting the two water lines on the back of the refrigerator, but I don't see how the filter housing is secured to the top of the unit. Probably one of those simple things that are just not obvious. Doing it wrong breaks something. Guidance?

that's really not something I would be able to help on without being there because it's not a commonly replaced part I'm afraid. I would have to be there and look at it so you may need a technician to come out if it looks like more than you can do yourself.