Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my Samsung RS265TRS side by side refrigerator isnt making…

Customer Question
my Samsung RS265TRS side by...
my Samsung RS265TRS side by side refrigerator isn't making ice and the "ice off" icon is blinking on the front. I have removed and reinstalled the ice bucket multiple times- it is seating well and is clearly installed correctly. I believe there is an issue with either 1.) the magnet sensor between the ice bucket and the freezer door, or 2.) the circuit from the sensor magnet on the inside of the door to the logic board of the fridge.

I've tried putting another magnet against the sensor magnet of the ice maker but that doesn't stop the blinking icon. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/4/2013
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 5 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Can you double check the model number off the machine as it is not coming up as valid.

RS265TDRS-... the Samsung folks I chatted with on the phone with today told me that there is also an "XA" or "XAA" at the end of the number.

They told me to unplug the fridge, reset the icemaker, reinstall the ice bin...basically everything that was in the manual...none of which worked to stop the blinking icon or help it make ice.

They should have just told you the icemaker is bad. The blinking light is a bad heater on the unit. Replace the icemaker as that is all you can buy for it. That is a very common issue with that unit. They actually contracted with GE for it. Here is a link to a new one.

CLICK HERE

So I did "test" the unit and was able to make ice. (pushed the "test button" for 3 seconds, cycled the scraper and sent water into the ice mould....made 8 pieces of ice) That said- they said "the only reason that the icon would blink" was because of a mis-installation of the ice bin.

With the icon blinking it won't sent water to the unit unless I hit the "test" button.

I'd love it if the ice maker is all it is...

Which Icon are you talking about blinking?

The "Ice Off" icon is blinking. When I toggle it to the Ice actually being off then the icon remains lit continuously. When I toggle back to the Ice being "on" the "Ice Off" icon blinks continuously.

OK that is different then, yes that is an icebucket issue. If the icebucket is installed correctly try unplugging the unit for 30 secs and pluggin it back in.

Ok...unplugged it for 1 minute...icon still blinking. took out the bin again...reinserted it...there is no way that it's inserted incorrectly...hit the "test" button again (which is supposed to reset the ice maker)...icon still blinking...

Take the control out and check if the wires are all attached good to the display board. Especially the sensor wires...can you do that? You may have a broken sensor wire or maybe it is just not making good connection at the display board.

hmmm...so that looks like it requires taking the entire freezer door apart...

do I just unscrew the screws on the inside of the door? Are any special tools required? Can I test the circuit with an ohm meter or something (I don't know how to do that but I have a meter...)

thanks

k

No you just have to remove the front dispenser panel, not the door.

it appears to me that there are only 2 screws accessible from the bottom of the front dispenser panel. Do I need to unplug the fridge before I take the panel off? Is there any way to check the ice bucket magnet sensor...it seems that the sensor may be the issue (but I'll check the connections under the front panel...) thanks

k

p.s. sorry for the delay...I was hoping that just "waiting" for a while might fix it...it didn't...

You should be able to check the sensor when you get the panel off. You can unplug the unit if you wish, but it is not necessary. You should see the sensor wires labeled on the circuit board. You could test it if it is reading closed with a meter.

Hi- I was wrong about there being screws on the front panel, there are a couple of slots at the bottom of the dispenser panel...am I supposed to just pry the thing off are are there releases hidden in there that I'm to get loose first? I can't really see into the slot holes...do you have a schematic drawing of this area or something like that?

Remove the one screw underneath the display.

Grab the display with your fingers inside the ice dispenser hole and pull straight out. It is very tight and you will hear the plastic cover snapping. It's normal.

hmmm...afraid I can't find the one screw...just two slots that look like a screw driver (flat head) can be inserted in there...

I don't want to just "wrench" the display off if I can't find the screw...

any sites I can see an "exploded" view of the front...?

You can go to Sears website to take a look some units have the tabs that you press in then pull it off...the diagram is not very clear on yours.

Well...as happens periodically- I've given up. I've got a factory technician coming out for the problem... I couldn't find an exploded diagram of the front panel and couldn't find an obvious way to get it off...so...I'll just go with the pro. Thanks for your help.

No problem, if you could let me know what the problem turned out to be if you do not mind.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician