Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher Model 665 has stopped washing.

The tub fills with hot...
My Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher Model 665 has stopped washing. The tub fills with hot water and the electronics work in all modes (Fast, Normal and Smart) but the rotors don't spin with water. Everything just goes quiet---except for a faint buzzing for about a minute and then that stops. It starts up again a minute later and then stops. I can reset and the water drains out. So that part works. I suspect the water pump is either plogged or burned out. Please advise.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does the dishwasher still drain out like normal even though it won't wash? Also, can I get the full model number located on a sticker around the frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door?

Yes, it drains out just as before. 665 13833K601, Type 575D

OK perfect, thank you. This can be caused for two reasons, either you have a bad circulation pump and motor assembly or your disposal screen is getting clogged and needs to be cleaned out. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to clean out your disposal and take your pump apart.

CLICK HERE

If you clean out the screen and it still won't wash the dishes properly, then the entire circulation pump and motor assembly will need to be ordered and replaced, and that's a $150 part. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to replace the pump and motor if you wanted to do that

CLICK HERE

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.'
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

OK, I viewed the video on getting to the filter, and did that on my dishwasher, but things were quite different: (1) There was no water in the well, but a little in the bottom of the filler and drain pipes. (2) There was no filter in the well, but there appears to be a circular membrain type filter on the cap to the well. And that membrain was clean. Does that mean that my pump is bad?

Aye, unfortunately this just all adds up to the circulation motor failing and needs to be replaced.

Bummer. Do you have the part number? I was thinking about ordering it from www.repairclinic.com; any comments? Also, I'm a bit worried that your video for pump installation---like the video for finding the filter---won't match my machine either. Can you comment on this?

So below is a link to the part, the part number you need is W10237169.

CLICK HERE for part

As for the video, it should be close enough that you can follow it to replace the pump and motor.

Yeah, looks exactly like mine, so no (immediate) problem. Last question: Any cheaper sources?

There might be a cheaper source but none that will let you return the part if needed that I know of

OK, the part came, I installed it yesterday, and everything seems to work---at least through the first wash, with no leaks. That's the good news.

The bad news comes in two parts:

(1) That U-tube video sucks. For example, it took me over an hour to pry the pump out of the tub, with a crow bar, no less, and by cutting away most of the rubber gasket with a box knife. Also, he didn't say anything about how to disconnect the thermister or power line. I had to figure that out by myself.

(2) I then disassembled the old pump to see what was wrong, expecting to see food or a piece of glass blocking a rotor. Wrong! The problem was that what looked like a fiber washer seated around the rotor shaft had totally disintegrated, now having the consistency of dirt. The result was that everything had corroded so that the rotor could barely turn. I took some photos of the damaged parts.

So my question to you is, Is this normal wear, or is it a design defect that I can ask for compensation from Kenmore, even though it is out of warranty?

So, it's basically normal wear and tear even if it's something that failed before they designed, but unless the unit is less than 2 years old, there is no way that kenmore would even consider helping to compensate for the repair, it just goes along with bad luck unfortunately.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc