Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized
70080267

I have a GE profile oven/range Model JB988. It is about 6-7

I have a GE profile oven/range Model JB988. It is about 6-7 years old. When I use the oven, and even more-so when I use the oven and range together, smoke comes out of the back of the control pannel. It comes from the small vents on the top back of the oven. Inside the oven is very clean and the smoke smells like an electrical fire. Any ideas what part(s) I need to replace?
Hi my name isXXXXX have been appliance repair tech since 1992. Do you have the complete model number off your range. Should be located in the bottom door liner or bottom drawer. There should some more numbers or letters after the JB988. But already judging on what you explained, sound like the control has shorted or one of the surface switches have shorted.Can you pull the range out and unplug it, then remove the rear panel to visually look at the electrical components?
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Looks like JB988 S0H1SS (not sure if that "0" is a 0 or O)

I have the unit away from the wall, unplugged and the back panel off.

What's next?

Thanks for your help!

Bret

With panel off you can use a flash light and look at both the main board in the center and bother left and right boards for your surface boards physically. You should see the archs or smoke trail coming out of the boards if you were seeing it come out of the control area.
You may have to remove the boards to fully examine them. But if you smell and see smoke. Should not be to hard to spot issues with the items at question.
Let me know,
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I send you a photo?
You should be able to attach it in this forum, or you can send it to me and i can look at it. Email is service then a @ needapplianceparts then put a dot com at end.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just sent you a photo to your email from my phone.

The picture shows the main power block was not properly tightened when set up and caused it to melt over time. You would need to change the power cord and the main block.
Part# WB17T10011 for terminal block
You can purchase it at RepairClinic.com or use Google search for best pricing.

Also change your 4 prong cord or try to save it by removing the cord terminal. Change the green colored coming from the cord and attach it to the cabinet casing on metal itself. Not on the power block.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You rock, thank you. Headed to reliable parts to get a thermal block. Cord and terminals are in good shape after removing and cleaning up the ones that were melted. Green wire is already attached to the metal not connecting to the thermal block. I'll get it dialed in this afternoon, thank you again!
Thank u . Please do not forget to rate at least three stars, if u do not i cannot get paid for the answer. Thanks in advance