Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kitchen Aid refrigerator model KSCS25INSS00 that keeps…

I have a Kitchen Aid...
I have a Kitchen Aid refrigerator model KSCS25INSS00 that keeps turning off and on. The lights work, but the display inside top of the refrigerator turns off when the refrigerator motor turns off. What is the problem? What part do I need to replace? Thank you.
12/4/2012
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

When this happens does the refrigerator make any sound at all? Do the lights that turn on when you open the fresh food door work when that happens?

Thanks,
Barry

it sounds like a hum and beep, hum than beep a couple of times and then the compressor shuts off. The lights are on inside both side by side doors and the water dispenser works. The temp display is off

I see, give me a few minutes to look at the wiring diagram please.

Thanks,
Barry

okay

If you find my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and leave an ok or better rating.

Take a look at the diagram below. The part I have arrowed is the power supply board. It runs everything in the refrigerator. Replace that board and that will take care of the problem.

Normally that board is located right by the fan in a metal box, but there is one other place and that is right behind the light blue water valve in a box there. To replace the part unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet, swap the part. The connectors only fit where they belong. Once its changed turn the refrigerator on.

David I looked at the diagrams for the model and I feel the part number given may be a mistake. It does not match up with what I expected to see compared to the part number for that part I have looked up in the past. That is why I have not offered a part number. Retforrepr is exactly what is given as the part name and normally that part is called the power supply board. What I would do is print the diagram I have posted, go to an appliance parts store and explain that you need that part. That way if there is a mistake you can return it in person.

If you have questions please use the reply to link and ask.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

I read on line that they don't make the main control board anymore and that there's a service to have it refurbished. Is that true?

That has not been my experience, that is a Whirlpool made board and I look them up often. I can't apply that part number to your model though, it is supposed to be looking like a normal part name with a normal part number. It really looks like a factory mistake to me. Its just not right and I have no clue why, I can see diagrams for all KA models and the diagram looks correct but the part name does not match what I have seen. That part is main control board. They sometimes name them differently but I have been doing this long enough to think there might be a problem with the number. Thats not a common thing, it just does not look right.

Thanks,
Barry

Where is the main control board located? What do I have to do to remove/replace?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

The ice maker stopped working a few weeks ago, too. Is that a coincidence or is that most likely broken, too?

The ice maker has it's own seperate thermostat. If the freezer is warmer than normal its going to make ice slower or not at all, depending on the temperature of the freezer.

Barry

It was before the on off problem. Came home to a floor full of water. It never made ice after that.

The ice maker is not connected to the digits you see on the control nor the cooling of the refrigerator. That is seperate and different problem. They are not on the same circuit.

Barry