Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE clothes washer WHDSR209G2WW is causing black oil spots

on laundry on occasion....
My GE clothes washer WHDSR209G2WW is causing black oil spots on laundry on occasion. Can I or an appliance service fix it? Local appliance parts store advised to throw it out as the expense to fix it would be excessive. Is it worth fixing?
11/30/2012
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today....Yes this problem can be repair....Most often very with little cost..Did the appliance service actually come out and inspect the washer..?

Their fee for a home visit is $99 and they are the ones that said to throw it out. They said GE had problems with this type of vertical agitating washer and that they discontinued making it because of oil leakage and other issues.

This is why i was asking you if they did service the unit (Meaning they removed the agitator and inspected under the agitator.)..Did they remove the agitator and inspect under the agitator.?.Allot of times all you need to do is clean the build up under the agitator..If the service company did remove the agitator and inspect then yes you will need to replace the unit as the seal is leaking unfortunately..If i were to replace this washer i would suggest the whirlpool Roper model..It can be purchased at Lowe's Etc. For under $300.00 A good all around washer...Also please remember to rate my answer at "Ok " Or greater before leaving today so that i may be credited through the system for my time helping you today..If you do have any further questions..I will be standing by..ThankS Bob

I did not have a service man look at the washer due to the $99 cost. Their reply to me to toss it out was over the phone. They said the cost of repair and diagnosis would. be excessive if they came to look at it, and that replacing it would be the thing to do.

Ok great..No way for them to correctly diagnose the problem without inspecting the washer..Depending upon the area you are in $99.00 for a diagnostic charge sounds rather high...What i would do is call around and see if you can find a less expensive repair shop to come out..Most will give you a estimate over the phone..This unit is a basic GE washer most shops will have no problem working on it..Thanks Bob

I was hoping to repair it myself if I could figure out what to do. That's why I contacted you. But, you are telling me that I need a repair man to diagnose the problem. Therefore I assume that there are multiple possibilities that could cause the oil deposits. Is that correct?

To inspect under the agitator..All you will need to do is remove the agitator..Not knowing your complete capabilities ..To remove the agitator..Open the lid..Grasp the agitator with both hands..Lift up on the agitator..With a quick jerking motion..The agitator will snap up and off..It is held on by a plastic part called a coupling..Once you inspect (Clean under the agitator.) To reinstall just simply snap the agitator back on..It is not held into place with any type of hardware (Bolts Etc.) the coupling is what secures the agitator to the washer.

I will try removing the agitator. However, the black spots on the clothes smell just like motor oil and don't seem to be a build up of dirt etc. I don't see how cleaning under the agitator would clear up motor oil type deposits from contaminating future laundry.

Detergent buildup itself will leave a grime substance similar to what you are describing..# XXXXX Is the coupling #300 is the agitator..Give it a good upward snapping motion to remove ..Thats all there is to it..If you notice a excessive amount of fluid under the agitator ..then you have a seal that is leaking...Also Please remember to rate my answer to you today at "OK" or better for my time helping you today..Thanks Bob

graphic
Bob L Your  Appl Pal

Thank you. Do you feel that having a tech replace a leaking seal would be advisable or would you suggest buying the Roper?

If the seal is leaking..Then it would be feasible to purchase the Roper....Like i said it is a very durable washer for the money..I actually use one at home myself..Thanks Bob

Thank you very much for the correspondence. I will proceed as you suggest. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!

Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal