Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Side By Side Model GE GSH25SGPASS. I went on a

vacation for three days and...
I have a GE Side By Side Model GE GSH25SGPASS. I went on a vacation for three days and when I returned, I noticed the meat in the freezer was partially thawed. It has over the past three days completetly thawed. I pulled the unit out and cleaned the round cylinder at the bottom right side as much as I can reach with a tooth brush. It is stiil blowing cool air but not freezing. I also unplugged it for 30 minutes and still just cool air. Both fans are working and when I plug it in I can hear the compressor kick on.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Did you notice any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ?

no frost. Even the ice in the ice maker bucket melted over the past three days

okay , what you need to do is remove the back panel in the freezer and get a look at the evaporator coils, do you think you can do that ? panel # XXXXX on this diagram . we need to know what the frost pattern looks like. are all the coils frosted lightly ?

If its removable, I'm sure I can. Looks like from the inside. I will attempt and come back

yes you do it from the inside.

There is no frost on the coils at all

Oh.thats not good. okay. are you sure the compressor is starting and running ? can you feel it ? is it vibrating ?

Yes. I hear it kick on just like an air conditioner compressor when it kicks in. I also put my hand on it and feel it vibrating.

thats bad unfortunately, it means theres a sealed system problem. Either the freon has leaked out or theres a blockage in the lines. this would need to be checked by an HVAC tech for a leak or blockage. the freon laws are strict and this needs a tap valve installed and be vacuumed down. I hate giving bad news, sorry, its definitely a sealed system issue though. I hope at least this gives you an idea of whats going on. best wishes and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician