Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The drain in our french door, bottom freezer kitchenaid refrigerator

is frozen and not draining...
The drain in our french door, bottom freezer kitchenaid refrigerator is frozen and not draining. how do we defrost it? we've turned off freezer and are trying to melt it with a blow dryer.
11/17/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us a model number so we can better assist you ?

its KBFS25EW

okay great. a hair dryer wont work unfortunately. the clog is down the drain hole itself. its frozen .what you need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer # XXXXX on this diagram. you have to remove number 22 and the screws so you can get the panel out. once thats out you will see there is a sheet of ice under the coils, take boiling water and pour it over the ice until it melts and drains freely.I know this is a pain but thats the way you have to do it. this is a poor design unfortunately and a freeze up happens every once in a while. make sure its draining freely before putting this back together, hope this helps, thanks , Bryan

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I'm clear, do i just have to remove 22 from the diagram or 11, 8, 3, & 12 as well to get at the coils?

yes, I know its a pain but you will never get it cleared with a hair dryer, you could unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and leave the freezer open but that is not usually an option when its the only refrigerator you have. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician