Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello, I have a Kenmore bottom freezer unit, The top refridge

side is cooling fine but...
Hello, I have a Kenmore bottom freezer unit, The top refridge side is cooling fine but the freezer is not freeezing. It gets to about 32 deg thats it. The only thing I noitced is that when I adjust the freezer control to off the top fridge section also turns off. Any ideas?
11/17/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the model number so we can better assist you ?

model 596.71103101

okay prefect, is the fan running in the freezer ? also can you pull this away from the wall and go behind and remove the panel covering the compressor ? check the fan next to the compressor and make sure thats running also ?

I have it pulled away from the wall, panel off. The fan in the back near the compressor is running. I can't tell if there is another fan running. When i switch the freezer control to off the fan turns off.

okay is there any frost on the back wall inside the freezer anywhere ? look real good behind your food.

I see no frost anywhere. There is a pan with a tube coneccting it to something up top, The pan is dry. I see no signs of frosting anywhere. The freezer is empty since it hasn't been freezing I emptied it out

okay , what you will need to do next is remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a look at the evaporator coils. we need to know what the frost pattern looks like , can you do that and let me know?you will have to remove the ice maker if there is one to get the panel out.

ok willl do

okay thanks

Panels off. I see some frost along with some ice build up on the top right, not much. I can send a picture if you'd like

Oh . thats not good. if you only see a small amount in one corner and the rest of the coils are not frosted at all it means you have a freon leak. thats why its just getting cold enough in the refrigerator section but not the freezer, all the coils need to be lightly frosted . if there not you are low on freon. sorry for the bad news.

So what are my options?

You cant recharge this yourself you would need an HVAC tech to put a tap in and vacuum the system down then recharge it. unfortunately with the freon laws today a licensed tech is required by law. this will probably run you around $200.00 if you wanted to fix this unit.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician