Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I replaced the motor on my maytag bottom freezer and the valve

inlet. I can hear the...
I replaced the motor on my maytag bottom freezer and the valve inlet. I can hear the ice maker working but doesn't seem to be getting water.
11/1/2012
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

.

Thank you for using Pearl.com for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

.

.

The model number should be on the wall of the fridge?

The model number is XXXXX We replaced the motor on the ice maker and the inlet valve. I can hear the ice maker working but doesn't seem to be getting any water.

Does your icemaker have a water filter?

Not that I know of.

I didn't think it did, however they made like 11 models of this one, why did you replace the water valve on te unit?

Initally we thought that be the problem when the ice maker was not working so went ahead and replaced it and the motor on the ice maker.

So replaced the water valve first?

yes

The fill tube that fills the ice maker itself, have you made sure that it was not blocked up with any ice in the tube?

No I didn't. I could take the ice maker off and check it. But it will take a few minutes.

Yes please do that, that is number one reason for the ice maker not to be working, you should be able to shine a flash light and see all the way up the tube.

would that stop the function of the pump because I don't see any water being pumped through the line

Yes no water would be pumped at all if there is an ice blockage of any type in the fill tube

O.K let me check that. Is there any easier way to check without taking off the ice maker?

Disconnect the water line on the back of the unit that is going to the icemaker and blow through it, it should blow through it easily.

O.K. did that the line looks fine. Ended up taking the ice maker out and found frozen water in the bottom. Do you think the temp was to low in the freezer from being open so long. Maybe I should wait to turn the arm down on the ice maker until it is back to the regular temp.

The icemaker on this unit will not make ICE until the freezer temps get down to below 10 degrees, then it will cycle for you, is the ice maker just keep cycling or does it stop for a while before continueing to do it again?

.

.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

.

.

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

I could hear it cycle it seems like it stopped for a short while between cycles

This may sound real stupid, did you ever turn the water back on after replacing the water valve?
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Yes we did.

Yes we did. I'm wondering if the wiring is bad going to the pump.

Are you still there?

do you have a volt meter to check voltages?

Yes I tested it and didn't get a reading. So that's why I'm wondering if it's bad.

you are getting 120 volts to the water valve?

Not sure what you mean. Just so you know I am a woman that's pretty good at these things. I checked the wire that connects to the pump with a meter and didn't get a reading.

how did you check for voltages?

I checked the prongs that come from the fridge to the pump. Using a voltage meter. It only moved a very little bit.

Was it still hooked to the valve when you checked it? If so try it with it removed from the valve, it shoud read 130 when it calls for water

No it wasn' t hooked to the valve.

At this point I think I am done for today. I might end up calling someone in to look at it. Thanks for your help.

Your welcome,. Have a great day.
Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician