Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool duet steam is showing an F21 error code. I cleaned…

Customer Question
My whirlpool duet steam is...
My whirlpool duet steam is showing an F21 error code. I cleaned out the drain (a paperclip and 2 dimes), disconnected and cleaned the drain hose, and finally purchased and installed a new water pump/motor unit. Diagnostic still registers F21 error. Before I got the F21, I had an F32. Replacement of the pressure switch fixed that. Wondering if I have a CCU problem or a wiring issue. Machine is just a couple years old with moderate use in 2 adult household. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/18/2012
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
What is the model number, please?

wfw9500tw01

F21 = LONG DRAIN

If the drain time exceeds eight minutes, "F21" will be displayed,

the water valves will turn off and the pump will stop running. Press

PAUSE/CANCEL to drain the machine. The display will be cleared and the

machine will turn off after a maximum of eight minutes.

Basiucally you need to check th ecoin trap.

Remove the lower front panel by taking out the three screws along the bottom edge. There is a cap behind the panel. Remove it and clean out any debris.

NOTE: any water remaining in the unit will come out when the cap is removed. Have plenty of rags on hand.

Once the coin trap is clear button it back up and try a load. The unit should run fine.

If the code reappears please let me know. You may have a bad pump.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your problem.
Please select a positive rating at this time. This will not close your question, or prevent you from asking follow up questions. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. If you do not see the rating box please let me know.

**PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU RATE**

If you read my question, you would know I already emptied the coin trap and replaced the pump and motor. The F21 error code continues to appear. Your answer is completely unhelpful.

my mistake.

What you need to test for is 120vac at the pump motor connection with the unit in a drain cycle. If you have 120vac then the pump is defective. Return it for exchange.

If you do not have 120vac at the pump then the control board is bad or the wire(s) are corroded, loose, or disconnected. Repair as needed.

The CCU monitors the resistance in the wireing going to the pump to determine if the unit is still pumping water or just air. It combines this information with the pressure sensor and other inputs to make sure that the unit is operating as it should. Just a corroded wire can really screw things up in these units.

Do a good check of the wiring. Use a strong magnifyer and a flashlight. If you find a bad connection then look for more. Where there is smoke there is fire as they say.

Other than that CCUs can provide false error codes. There are usually other signs that the CCU is going bad but this could very well be one of them that just hasnt popped up yet.

Sorry for the error last night. Its been a long week and I am fighting a head cold to boot.

**PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU RATE**

.

I was reviewing my old questions and had a thought on what may be causing your unit toi gove the error code. It could be a plugged up water level pressure switch hose. If a ball of lint gets into it that could cause the long drain error to appear.

Blow out the hose good and try it again.