Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi, I live in Brazil and I have a 1950 frigidaire refrigerator.

Hi, I live in Brazil...
I live in Brazil and I have a 1950 frigidaire refrigerator. I need some help to install a supco 3in1 relay. Can someone help me?
Thanks
Mauricio
10/15/2012
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you look at the compressor, are there three pins on it or does it have screw terminals?

let me explain my problem :

I already discovered in the compressor which pins are the comon, start and run and I pluged these three wires that come in the supco on them.

I`m having problem to identify how to plug the other two wires that come on supco.

Supco´s instructions told me to get of the old relay and to install the new relay on the two wires that enter in the old relay. The problem is thar my relay has 3 wires on it. one came from inside the refrigerator and the other two was wired on the star and run pins of the compressor.

I let the oold relay on its place and I followed the power cord under the refrigerator and I pluged the supco´s two wire direct on it and the refrigerator works ok, but the thermostarter is not working.

I think that the wire that I let on the old relay was for the thermostarter and I don´t know how to identify and instal it on the new relay.

Sorry about my bad english

The wire that was on the common pin of the compressor to begin with will be one of the wires and the other will be the neutral, that will be the two black wires with stripped ends. The other wires (red, white and black) will go to run, start and common, respectively. Your English is great! Wink Let me know if that allows the thermostat to control the compressor.

Don´t worry about colors. The refrigerator is very old and all wires now are white.

I have 3 wires that come out of the refrigerator. One is wired to the common, other is wired to ne neutral and the other was wired to the old relay.

The wire that was on the old relay is the power wire from the thermostat. It should switch power on and off to the compressor and can be tested by measuring voltage with the thermostat in the on and off position. That will be one of the wires that connects to the new relay. The other wire on the relay will be connected to the neutral.

I have 3 wires coming of the refrigerator. One is wired to the common, other is wired on the neutral and the last is wired in the old relay.

I pluged the new relay together with the wires that were pluged in the common and neutral. How to plug the wire that is in the old relay? Should I wire it with the common or with the neutral?

How to identify on these 3 wires that came from inside which one is for the light and wich is for the thermostat?

Can you upload a picture of the compressor and wiring? You can use the paper clip icon above the text box or use a free site like www.photobucket.com and send me a link.

Kelly,

I´m out of town. I will send you the picture at night. I will also try to draw how the refrigerator was wired.

Thanks

Mauricio

Okay, thank you.

Only to make things clear, I have 3 wires coming out of refrigerator. I supose that these wires are for light and thermostat. How to identify and how to wire correct these wires in the new relay and with neutral and common wires that came from power plug.

The light will be wired with the door switch and will only be energized when the door is open. The relay wire should be the one that is coming from the thermostat, energized only when the thermostat is calling for cooling. You should be able to measure voltage to those wires and determine which is which.

Sorry about the stupid question, but can you explain me how to measure voltage to discover how to identify and wire these three wires? Should I turn the refrigerator on or should i take the measure with the refrigerator off like I made to discover the common, run and start plug in the compressor?

I will be out of town until friday. I won´t be able to send you the picture today as I said, but I used my memory to draw the old and the new wire diagrams.

In the new one you can see that I have a wire in the old relay that i need to connect in the new relay, but I don´t know where.diagram

Excellent! Take the wire from the hot line of the power cord and tape it back together without the Supco relay wire. Now, connect that Supco relay wire to the wire going to the old relay.

I don´t know if you received my last reply.

How to know what wire is the hot line? Is it the one that was connected to the compressor´s common plug in the first diagram?

If I undestood right, the hot line will enter in the refrigerator and then it will came back in the old relay´s wire and it shoul be connected to the supco´s wire. The other supco´s wire will be connect to the other wire that come from the power plug that should be the neutral wire.

Am I right?

Is there a way to check these wire to avoid damage my refrigerator? what will happen if I connected something wrong? The refrigerator will not work or can I burn something?

Thanks

Mauricio

That is correct. You can test the two wires you are connecting to the Supco for 120 VAC when the thermostat is on.

Ok.

I will try your suggestion when I arrive home on Friday.

I will let you know if the thermostat and the refrigerator will work fine.

Thanks

Mauricio

Sounds good, keep me posted! Travel safe!
I just connected the wires as you suggested, but with this new diagram the refigerator didn't work.
With the last diagram it works without the thermostat. Now it didn't work.
What will happens if I back the wires to the previous diagram and try to connect the old's relay wire to the another wire that come from the power plug?
Were you able to measure power to those wires to see which one is neutral and which one is coming from the thermostat?
I think so.
I have a multimeter, but i will need instructions from you teeling how to measure those wires
Set the meter to read AC voltage. Place one lead to the cabinet (ground) and one to the wire coming from the thermostat. The power will read when the thermostat is on and will go away when the thermostat is off. That will identify the thermostat power wire. That wire will go to one of the Supco wires. The hot wire will be live with 120 VAC at all times when plugged in and tested to ground. That will identify the hot wire. That leaves the other wire as the neutral, which will go to the other wire of the Supco.
Thanks for your help.
Sorry if my next questions will sound stupid, but I need to ask them before measure test the wires
1-I presume that the power plug must be on eletricit to do this test. Am I right?
2-from the 3 wires that comes from inside refrigerator, the one that was connect to the old relay is the one that comes from the thermostat and must be connected with one supco's wires. So I have now 2 wires comming from refrigerator (one will leave power to the thermostat and other will be the neutral and must be connected to the last supco's wires) and I have 2 wires in the power cord. One wire will be connect direct with the wire that leave power to the thermostat and where should i connect the other power cord's wire? It have to be connect with something else.
3 -how to test the wire's voltage without damage anything if the wires were connected wrong?
Thanks again
Mauricio
There will be 2 wires coming from the cord. One will be hot and one will be neutral. The hot wire will go into the thermostat. The other wire from the thermostat will go to the Supco relay. The second wire from the cord will be neutral. It will lead into the refrigerator and will also splice into the Supco relay. That gives each wire a place to be connected.

Kelly,

Thank you very much for all your pacience with my questions.

I draw a new diagram with my undestood of yourr explanation. Please check if it is right.

My only doubt is about my first diagram. The wire that come from power cord and was connected directed to the compressor´s common plug I think that was the neutral, because the hot line will came from the old relay and will power the run and start plug. Am I right?

Here ins Brazil the power cord has two similar legs in the power plug and it can be connected to eletricity in one position or you can turn it 180º and connected it in the upside down position. When you do that, the wire that was the hot line became the neutral and the neutral wire become the hot line. Does this situation matter in my connections or this is the normal situation for any eletric device? I know that in USA the power plug can only be connected in one position, because the legs in the power plug are differents.

Thanks again

Diagram

Mauricio

I found the original wiring diagram. I think that will be easier to talk over this diagram.

So, In this diagram, the connection with the number "1" is the hot line and the wire with the letter "L" in the YT relay should be connect to the supco and the other supco´s wire should be connected in the number "2" connection, that will be the neutral. Am I right?

The colored connectors are the ones you will need to attach to the Supco. Let me know how it goes.

graphic

Kelly,

These are exactly the "L" and the number "2" that I mensioned on my reply. I will try these wiring tonight and I will let you know if it works.

Thanks

That should get you working, keep me posted!
Hi Kelly,

Today I tried the new diagram as you suggested. The refrigerator works fine and when I put the thermostat in the off position it shutt off the compressor. So I think that everything are wired correct.
The problem now is that when I tried to turn the thermostat on again the compressor didn't start. It made a "hummmm" noise. If I unplug the power cord, wait a some minutes and plug it again, the compressor starts fine.
Am I missing something? What is going on?
Thanks
Mauricio
If you attempt to start it right away after shutting it off, the compressor will not start because of the pressure built up in the system. It needs to equalize the pressure between the suction and discharge sides of the refrigeration system. This is normal. I believe we can call this a success! Outstanding job doing this yourself! I enjoyed working with you and hope to hear from you during the next appliance problem. Take care! Please let me know if you have additional questions. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.

Ok. I undestood about compressor pressure equalization, but how about the very audible hummmm noise?

Thanks

Mauricio

The hum noise is the compressor trying to start, followed by the click of the overload.

Ok. If I am undestanding right, the noise is normal, ok?

Only too check I measure the compressor with a ohm meter. I have the follow result :

AB=7,2

AC=4,6

BC=10,6

With thiss results I identify the A as the common, B as start and C as run. Am I right?

My compressor has the letters R 1/8-16 printed in it. I have two supco´s relays, the HS810 and the RCO410. Wich one is the best for my compressor?

Thanks

Mauricio

That is correct, and I would use the RCO410.

Thanks for all your help.

Here is my last question : the hummm noise will not cause any damage to my refrigerator and it will remains until the thermostat send a signal to start it again and your pressure has been equalized. Am I right?

I was afraid that the hummm could damage the compressor, because I´ve never heard this noise in my refrigerator before.

Thanks again

Mauricio

It is not harmful and will only do that if the compressor shuts off and is turned right back on.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician