Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello, I have a NED7200TW dryer that is not drying. Ive

Hello, I have a...

I have a NED7200TW dryer that is not drying. I've checked the vent hose and removed a large clump of wet lint. I turned it on with no vent and it feels like cool air is blowing. I've had it running 5 minutes on time dry at medium heat now. What could the problem be? WIfe thinks it might be the heating element?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2012
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a multimeter for testing the electrical components by chance?

no, but I can run out and get one.

Ok well you'll need one to do anything without guessing which part is faulty. Chances are the clogged vent caused the heater or a thermostat to fail.

This is really not an easy to get inside the dryer unfortunately. To gain access, you need to pull the dryer forward and unplug it. Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the screws coming in from the inside of the dryer going into the control panel. The control panel will then pull up and out of the way. At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove. Open the door and you need to remove the 2 screws below the door way. Now you can remove the front panel to access the inside of the dryer.

Unplug the dryer and you can access the heater assembly under the drum on the right side inside the metal canister. On the left side of the canister are 2 small round devices. These are your thermal cut offs and the high limit thermostats. If you have a multimeter, you can remove the wires to these parts and check resistance through each of these 2 parts and you should have less than 1 ohm, otherwise replace the faulty part. If both parts check good, replace the heating element inside the canister. You can check the resistance of the element to confirm, but it should be between 10 and 30 ohms if it's good. If for some reason the heater check good, make sure the dryer is getting 240 volts from your house because they dryer will run but it will not heat if it's only getting 120 volts.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

THank you for your help, I may have to take you up on your offer to answer some more questions though. I'm off to get a multimeter.

ok good luck and have a nice day.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc