Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Washer

Washer
Hello and thank you for using this service,

There are a few things that can cause this issue:

The control is programmed to keep the door locked if the water level is at or above foam level, which is approximately ¾ of an inch in the bottom of the wash basket. If the water valve is stuck open and continually running water, the control will sense that there is water in the tub and will not unlock the door. If this is the case you will see water flowing into the washer when it is powered down. In this case the water valve will have to be replaced.

The control is programmed to keep the door locked if the water level is at or above foam level, which is approximately ¾ of an inch in the bottom of the wash basket. If the water pump is bad and cannot pump out all the water, then the control will sense that there is water still in the tub and will not unlock the door.

Check and clean the pump filter on the unit. You need to remove the bottom panel on the washer to get to the filter assembly. It is a large round hand turn nut. When you remove it a lot of water will come out if it is full so be prepared or tip the machine at about a 45 degree angle, this will keep the water from coming out of the pump filter.

All I ask is that you rate my assistance, thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Today I paid $60. for a service man to come look at the washer. All it took to unlock the washer was to First touch power button, then hold the "lock" button in for 3 seconds. It immediately "unlocked" the washer. The GE manual did not say to push the power button first, then the lock button. So your info was of no use to me. I did rate OK so you get credit and I have already paid you the $30.