Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE stainless steel side by side Arctica #PSW26PSSC

I have a GE stainless steel side by side Arctica #PSW26PSSC SS. A few months ago it stopped cooling, compartment went to 48, freezer at 25. I unplugged it for 30 minutes and slowly cooled. When I originally bought it, always stayed at 36 to 37 degrees. Lately it's at 40 to 42 consistently. The freezer is fine. I was told to replace mother board, which I did, but it still running too hot. Now I noticed that the fan at bottom compartment where it has evaporator fan and a smaller fan is full of mold. It seems to be a high moisture condition. Does any one know of a "retro fit" heating kit (element) for evaporator, where it ices up and no heat to cool it off? Called GE, they said no. Any help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good a afternoon. Can you tell me if there is any Frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food ? while you check that I will see if there is a kit for this .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a little frost and freezer is coolin fine, the other side doesn't get cold enough.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes I understand that the fresh food section is not cooling correctly but all the cold that cools this side comes from the freezer. When the freezer has Frost on that back panel it usually indicates a defrost issue. When the coils are frosted up behind that panel the airflow is restricted and therefore doesn't cool the fresh food section properly. Now this has nothing to do with the fast chill in the fresh food section. What you really need to do is to remove that back panel and check the coils behind it, tell me if they are frosted heavily or if they are frosted lightly and evenly across all the coils, can you do that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The panel is removed there is only a trace of frost there all across. I have both panels open. On the fridge compartment at bottom the coils are also a bit frosted. The bottom fridge compartment has a small fan, I think is a evaporator fan and another smaller fan encased in a styrofoam panel. It has mold buildup all over the foam.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay, there is a thaw heater in this custom cool if thats where your talking about. # XXXXX on this diagram. replacing that will help. heres a link to that part. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/WR51X10081/0046/363/Model-PSW26PSSCSS/0432/0165000?keySuffixId=NA &pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G0702139&diagramPageId=00010&productTypeId=0165000&searchModelNumber=PSW26PSSCSS&subCompDesc=Custom%20cool&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR-S-SERIES&blt=11&shdMod=PSW26PSSCSS but the cooling issue is something else though. most likely the damper assembly . this had been redesigned to prevent freezing but it also controls the airflow to the refrigerator section.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So your saying replacing the damper assembly will solve the cooling issue? And replacing the thaw heater will reduce moisture and mold inside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you aware of a GE retro fit for this unit? I was told by a friend that there was, but GE says no.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I was out for dinner.I'm not aware of a retrofit for this. what I was saying is the damper is probably not working correctly because you say the frost pattern on the coils is not bad so there shouldn't be a problem with the defrost. my guess is the damper is not opening and closing correctly.