Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have a GE gas dryer that stops before cycle ends. I set the

timer to 80 minutes, but...
Have a GE gas dryer that stops before cycle ends. I set the timer to 80 minutes, but it stops when it gets to about 30 minutes, I replaced the timer with a new one, but still the dryer stops before completing the cycle.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

bryanpaul52 :

do you have the model number ?

The model is: DLSR483GG0WW

okay thanks. does this stop at exactly the same time every time ?

No, it stops at different times, but it will start from where it stop if I start it again, I do this using the start knob.

Okay is there a way you can run a load with the vent hose removed from the back of the dryer ? the only thing that could cause this to stop like that is if its overheating. can you try that ?

I will and I will let you know.

okay thanks.

I ran a load with the vent hose removed, a lot of hot air been vented into the room, yet the problem persists, it stops at different times but mostly after 40 o 50 minutes, I restart it immediately and it continues working, what else could it be?. Just in case, I opened the unit and found a lot of lint, I cleaned the unit and it completed the whole 80 minutes running, that was yesterday, but today I have the problem back.

So it ran a full 80 min. yesterday? After you were done cleaning the lint? The reason I had you take the vent off was to see if this was overheating because of blockage in the system, did you actually take the dryer apart and clean it all inside? It seems to me you motor is overheating whether it is the motor itself or because the dryer is not completely venting out and the inside of the dryer is getting so hot that the motor shuts down, you say you replaced the timer so we know that's not the issue. It has to be in the motor.

Yes, I took the dryer apart, lots and lots of lint, removed all by hand and then with a vacuum. I am with you, I have been suspecting the motor is the problem, I have an spear motor, I will use it to replace the one I think is bad and see what happens.

Well there's not a lot more in there that would cause this to shut down except for the motor overheating, I suspect after running say 60 min. It's overheating now you did take care of the lint which is a real good thing and it actually did run longer. At one point so I doubt it's anything but the motor to be honest these motors have a overload in them that will kick off if the motor gets over certain temperature. I suspect that's what's happening with yours. Let me know if you can and thanks, Bryan

I replaced the two motors: the drum and the blower, they were from a dryer that we replaced, I bowed the lint from the two motors with compressed air so they looked like new, now the dryer is working fine. The two motors that I replaced i will clean with compressed air too, I am pretty sure the lint (lots of it everywhere in the motors) was causing the motor to stop.

Sure sounds like thats the case. it good to clean these about every 3 months if you can do it. Most people cant though but since you know how its a good idea. overheating is the only thing that would cause the motor to shut down like that.
I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician