Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Freezer walls are warm, even close to hot, for last several

Freezer walls are warm, even close to hot, for last several months. Keeps ice frozen, but ice cream is soft. Have moved fridge out from wall and cleaned everything with a vacuum cleaner but no improvement. This morning, freezer compartment is flooded with liquid, ice has melted and now fridge doesn't feel very cold either. How can I pinpoint the condition or component at fault ?
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Can you pull the unit out from the wall and take the panel off in the lower rear, Behind the panel you will see the compressor, Feel the compressor and tell me if it feels hot/warm or room temp, also need to know if the fan is running beside the compressor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Mike. Thank you for the fast reply.

The compressor I'm assuming is the ball-shaped metal structure about 8 inches wide / 7 inches high. It is HOT to the touch. The nearby fan is not spinning.

Thank you,

Ok Jerry your problem is the condenser fan motor, this has failed and will need to be replaced, this is why the walls felt hot and why the unit has stopped working.

If you can supply me with the model number I can point you toward a site where you can buy the fan motor.

Please feel free to come back after rating me "ok service or above" or for any additional questions or assistance that may be needed.

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service or above" so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Mike. Thank you again. The freezer walls are no longer hot. Does this change anything ? The model is Amana TR21VW.

No that will be your problem, they won't be hot because the system can't run. Replace the motor and you will be all set.
Click here to order the replacement motor

Thanks!