Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a roper dishwasher(about 10 years old) that is no longer

I have a roper dishwasher(about 10 years old) that is no longer cleaning or drying , what is the problem and is it worth fixing?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?

And when the dishwasher ends and you open the door, is it really steamy inside or not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

RVD 3000d3 SER. NUMBER fh1979pO1

dISHWASHER IS NOT STEAMY INSIDE

OK perfect thank you. So if the dishwasher isn't heating, that would definitely top the dishwasher from washing well. You'll want to remove the screws going into the kick panel below the door and remove the kick panel. You need a multimeter to test and see if you get 120 volts between the 2 wires going to the heating element in the front right corner of your dishwasher (under the tub) when the dishwasher you should be heating. Turn the timer and hold the probes on the heating terminals and see if you ever getting 120 volts. If you do, then the heating element is just bad behind it's not heating. If you don't get 120 volts, then either you have a broken wire through the door (usually down at the hinge inside the door) or the timer is bad and not heating the water and the timer would need to be replaced (not cheap, usually over $100 just for the part).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THANK YOU HOW ABOUT NOT CLEANING?

That would be from the dishwasher not heating I would imagine. If the dishes are still getting wet, then the poor cleaning would be due to the fact that the heater can't heat the water. The heater is used during the wash cycle as well to heat the water.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok , bottom panel removed. The hot soft copper supply line coming from the sink base cabinet into the area I just exposed by removing that bottom panel of the dishwasher heads over to a plastic device it threads into at the bottom with a 90. That device is yellow in color and plastic and has a plastic plug with two wires attached to it. Now out the top , side facing me is a black rubber hose headed up. now is that whole device the heater? Is that the piece that needs replacing if the copper going in is hotter than the rubber coming out(assuming)? Is that the plug you would like me to test for voltage on heat(which is during the rinse cycle , I assume) Also is that the "heat" that drys as well , by steam? or what ? or is another device entirely?

First, yes the same heater is used for ALL heating options on the dryer. If you need to know where the element plugs in, just open the door and look below the bottom rack. That round bake element looking thing is your heating element. Look where it goes down through the tub in the front right corner and then look under the dishwasher to see where the wires are connected.